Jan 14, 2023

Attachments

• IMG_6301.jpeg
    IMG_6301.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6302.jpeg
    IMG_6302.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 49
Looking at the wire and the fence, I'd say the fence isn't that old. But looking at that tree, the wires have been there a while. But like Arc said, that doesn't mean anything more than that there was a fence there, most likely for cattle or other livestock. Maybe there was a house nearby, or maybe not.

If you have a map that shows a house there, compare the map to a modern map and you should be able to get pretty close. Look for landmarks or natural features, compare scales and distances, and you should be able to narrow it down.

I wouldn't say an indicator of anything more than a fence line for cattle.
And that could be hundreds of acres from where a home site could have been.
Who knows,

Looking at the wire and the fence, I'd say the fence isn't that old. But looking at that tree, the wires have been there a while. But like Arc said, that doesn't mean anything more than that there was a fence there, most likely for cattle or other livestock. Maybe there was a house nearby, or maybe not.

If you have a map that shows a house there, compare the map to a modern map and you should be able to get pretty close. Look for landmarks or natural features, compare scales and distances, and you should be able to narrow it down.
Thanks for the reply.

Based on three strands of barbed wire have been 'consumed' by the true, I'd feel safe in saying the wire was there during the time the home was there in 1907.
Don in SoCal
there actually is a way to date that barbed wire... err or at least narrow it down timeline wise.

You could cut the tree down and count the rings... šŸ™„

I've got a tree and post just like those in my back 4, a quarter mile from the house.
It was just a property line fence (which also happens to be the town line).

You could cut the tree down and count the rings... šŸ™„

I've got a tree and post just like those in my back 4, a quarter mile from the house.
It was just a property line fence (which also happens to be the town line).
I think I will pass on taking the tree down . Just going to work the ground from the area out in a circle and keep going maybe there is something there. Will wait another month or so , the horseflies are bad

I would not say it's part of a homestead but more likely to be the property boundary.

You could make an increment core of the tree, using a forester's borer, near one of the wires rather than cutting it down. The number of rings from the wire to the outside would be the approximately the number of years the wire has been in the tree. The borer leaves an almost unnoticeable hole which soon heals.

I need to ask you what kind of tree is the barbed wire running through.
Up in these parts a Manitoba Maple, Ash grow quickly.

I would focus on finding the house location from the 1907 map. It could have been built on an earlier foundation and might not be on the maps. How far back do the maps go where you are? I use historicmapworks.com. They go back to 1873 here in NJ. The homesteads go back much earlier.

I would focus on finding the house location from the 1907 map. It could have been built on an earlier foundation and might not be on the maps. How far back do the maps go where you are? I use historicmapworks.com. They go back to 1873 here in NJ. The homesteads go back much earlier.
I figured the house was way older than 1907 , going to research more when I get back in town

From the bark itā€™s in the red oak family. If a red oak thatā€™s 40+ years of growthā€¦.if a pin oak (willow oak) could be 20

From the bark itā€™s in the red oak family. If a red oak thatā€™s 40+ years of growthā€¦.if a pin oak (willow oak) could be 20
I cut a 18" Red Oak down in my Lane way.
118 yrs old.

No clue , with that bark maybe oak not sure itā€™s rather large

We lost a lot of mature (100+) oaks & maples in the ice storm of '91. The weird thing was, the ice took down all the live trees and left the dead ones standing--result of the weight of the ice on leaves & needles vs. dead branches & twigs.

It's been over 30 years and it still breaks my heart. šŸ˜¢

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back