Is This Fork Silver

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Hi all, i also dug this fork today on the short hunt. It sure looks like silver and came out of the ground looking pretty good. The area the I think would have a mark is worn down. So I was wondering if it really is silver and how old you think it is. Thanks for looking.

Bubba65

008.JPG010.JPG011.JPG012.JPG013.JPG

I have some southern coin silver pieces that look just like your fork. But how you could tell if its silver or not I am not sure.

Upvote 0
Based on looks, probably silver, probably ca 1850-1880. Acid test is only way to know. If it came out of the ground looking like that, it is probably silver.

Upvote 0
What does the end of the broken tine look like? It sure looks like silver in your pics.

Upvote 0
If you intend to send it in for melt you can use a propane torch to test. Heat it red hot and if it is plated you will see the plating 1. flow away from the heat. 2. When it cools the base metal will show. 3. a thick silver area like the handle will be very hard to heat up with a propane torch. Base metal of copper turns green and there is green in the torch's flame surrounding the heated area, pewter turns a light white, nickel silver turns black. One other thing. If heavily oxidized, the torch's flame will turn the oxidation back to a nice silver color.

I use this method on old silverware I am sending in for melt. I also use an acid test but felt both tests make my results more predictable.

Upvote 0
From the pics I say Silver.....test it....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back