Is this Byzantine?

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am not a coin collector, but I picked this up from a buddy that I "wheel and deal" with every now and then.

One of his hobbies is purchasing "lots" of "uncleaned" ancient coins. He has a passion for Greek coins. He keeps the ones he wants, puts the nicer ones that he sells in 2x2's and the culls go into his foreign coin and token box.

He stated he was certain that it was Byzantine, so I paid him his $1.00 price for it. I know in this condition it has no monetary value, but I would like to know if, in fact, it is Byzantine. Just doing simple search engine searches, Byzantine coins were the only ones that I could find that had the large M on the back.

I noticed that I did not put anything in for size reference. It's diameter is just a bit larger than an American quarter.

Thank you for looking and I appreciate your help.
Doug

follisFront.jpg follisBack.jpg

Thanks for the info. I had one person tell me that they thought it was a follis from the reign of Justin II with Justin II and Sophia on the obverse and the value on the reverse. I have done some research and it seems like the "Justin and Sophia" coins are some of the most common Byzantine coins available.

Do you know how to tell if this is a "Justin and Sophia" coin or an Islamic Pseudo Byzantine coin?

10309.png

Upvote 0
Do you know how to tell if this is a "Justin and Sophia" coin or an Islamic Pseudo Byzantine coin?

Dude, I wouldn't know Justin & Sophia from Justin & Selena.

All I do is find information on the internet and report it here.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back