Is this button real and if so need help with ID

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in Western NY and STILL cannot detect yet. Snow and frozen ground so far. :unhappysmiley: so i was going through some old stuff trying to decide what to do with all and happened on this button. I don't know where i got it from and don't know if its real or not and if it is can someone help with ID.
It is 7/8ths inch across. does not attract a magnet. it looks silvery and almost looks like it was sand blasted. On the back it says: Stand. Treble Guilt. Colour. and the number 37 is stamped in it. I hope i can get the pics uploaded properly. Thanks for the help.
Button Back 2.jpgButton Back 3.jpgButton Front.jpgButton Back 4.jpgButton Back 1.jpg

Your button is definitely real. It is item GI61 in Alberts button book. I haven't tied down an exact date for it but it should be late than 1812 but before 1830. Your backmark indicates it was made in Europe, probably England. It was listed as a militia button.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks for the ID. i wish i knew where the heck i got it from. do you think the silver color is still the original silver guilt?

Upvote 0
Treble Gilt means triple gold plated. I think that it was gold colored when new.

Very nice button sir!

Upvote 0
That 37 looks peculiar for being stamped, both the informal design of the numbers as well as mark into the button itself. It looks like it was done in a tedious manner with a very sharp point dot by dot. That really adds character to the button and makes you wonder what the number was for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could the number have been added more recently with an engraving tool? I'm just throwing it out there as a talking point. I can't think of a reason why anyone would do that.

Upvote 0
looking at the 37 with a 10x loop it looks like it was done with an engraving tool or something like that as the metal is pushed up from the groove and is piled up on the sides of the groove. at the bottom of the 7 is a dot which looks rounded. 37A.jpg37B.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back