Is this an old Pocket Watch case?

Shawnjuan02

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this metal detecting yesterday but can't figure out if it's a pocket watch case or what. It has a mark of a flag with 1 star inside the flag. The outside fell apart D0375921-C93C-49B4-BB1E-BE36FBB634C7.jpegD0375921-C93C-49B4-BB1E-BE36FBB634C7.jpeg7E74A099-59DA-4EDE-8E65-6B4A365D9FC1.jpeg55E53582-0ED7-431C-8AE4-AB3497D850C0.jpeg

Plug N Play found this and relayed it to me, so I won't take credit for an aha moment. There are some watches with this mark purported to be from or listed as being from The White Star Lines, yes that one such in the RMS Titanic.

This is an avenue that can be researched, who knows where it can lead. I'm far from an expert so I can't and won't say one way or another.....Oh and neither is Plug N Play saying that is what it is.

Here's a pic of the logo on one of the ones listed as a White Star Line watch.

20201108_162337.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
wow, love to get my hands on that watch case
I have many
once gently cleaned, you likely find hidden marks
under the rim area, jewlers would mark a repair date, name maybe the repair
you might be able to date watch by this

Upvote 0
The possible 'White Star' connection is interesting, but has been ruled out by someone who has intensively researched the mark. Over the years, doubt had been cast on watch forums that the mark without the word 'Golden' was that of the Dueber Company because it was not supported by contemporary proof. Hence the speculation about White Star. Finally, someone found it reliably contemporaneously documented as having been used by Dueber, removing that doubt. It's believed to be an early unregistered mark and is apparently shown on page 58 of Ehrhardt's Trade Mark book.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The possible 'White Star' connection is interesting, but has been ruled out by someone who has intensively researched the mark. Over the years, doubt had been cast on watch forums that the mark without the word 'Golden' was that of the Dueber Company because it was not supported by contemporary proof. Hence the speculation about White Star. Finally, someone found it reliably contemporaneously documented as having been used by Dueber, removing that doubt.

Cool deal, so we can rule out the White Star Line completely and put that to bed, and confirm the Dueber connection!

Great information and back-story there Red-Coat! :notworthy:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice pocket watch case and most of it is there!

Upvote 0
Thank you all so much!! I truly appreciate all your help!!! Any tips on how to clean it??

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back