is this an old axe head???

DIAZ

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ForumRunner_20130319_232940.png

ForumRunner_20130319_233019.png

ForumRunner_20130319_233059.png

Found this metal detecting is iron is this an old axe or modern axe any thoughts feel free to share them thanks jeff

There's not a whole lot of corrosion. The style isnt extremely old either. Not a axe expert but guessing no older than 1950. I may be wrong

Upvote 0
There's not a whole lot of corrosion. The style isnt extremely old either. Not a axe expert but guessing no older than 1950. I may be wrong

Thanks you are probally right I was not sure though it rang up as iron

Upvote 0
Looks like a falling axe, the flat or hammer part is for driving falling wedges into the saw cut in the tree, and of course the tree is notched in the direction the faller wants it to go, and the axe is also used to knock that block out of the notch. Those style of axes are in use falling timber today in Oregon, and I don't know how far back they go.

Upvote 0
Looks like a falling axe, the flat or hammer part is for driving falling wedges into the saw cut in the tree, and of course the tree is notched in the direction the faller wants it to go, and the axe is also used to knock that block out of the notch. Those style of axes are in use falling timber today in Oregon, and I don't know how far back they go.

Thanks for the info makes sense it is pro ally not that old

Upvote 0

Thanks for the info makes sense it is probally not that old.

Upvote 0
I have a couple in my shed. Everytime I find an axe head I clean it up and put it on a new handle and use it.

Upvote 0
I have a couple in my shed. Everytime I find an axe head I clean it up and put it on a new handle and use it.

Good idea never thought of that I'll have to do that thanks for the comment.

Upvote 0
Diaz here is a chart of axes I hope it helps?
BK

Thanks for the charts from what I see it looks like the Yankee one and it pro ally isn't too old no older than the 40s I'd say

Upvote 0
Thanks for the charts from what I see it looks like the Yankee one and it pro ally isn't too old no older than the 40s I'd say

It is deffinitly a Yankee ax head from the 40s. 50s. I agree with that still a cool axe head very heavy and solid

Upvote 0
It is deffinitly a Yankee ax head from the 40s. 50s. I agree with that still a cool axe head very heavy and solid

I found these plates in the same general area makes sense one is a 1950 s plate the smaller one I have no idea how old it is

ForumRunner_20130320_085724.png

Upvote 0
The smaller license plate is from 1937-1947, and was a state vehicle which didn't require an expiration sticker. Pretty neat.
On the axe head, I would think that a manufacturers name may be stamped on it somewhere? which was more common after the days in which they were made by a blacksmith.

Upvote 0
The smaller license plate is from 1937-1947, and was a state vehicle which didn't require an expiration sticker. Pretty neat.
On the axe head, I would think that a manufacturers name may be stamped on it somewhere? which was more common after the days in which they were made by a blacksmith.

I'll have to clean it the best I can then see if I can find a stamp on it and thanks for the info on the smaller plate

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back