S. E. Tn.

Attachments

• civil war finds 005.jpg
    civil war finds 005.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 367
  • civil war finds 005.jpg
    civil war finds 005.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 377
A.S.N. stands for Army serial number.Starting in 1940 the number 3 as the first digit meant he was a draftee.The 30,000,000 range of serial numbers were for the Fifth Corps,headquartered at Fort Hayes,Ohio.Members of the Fifth Corps were from Ohio,West Virginia,Indiana,and Kentucky.I don't know how you could find the owner by the serial number.How did it get to be there?Maybe he was digging up a relic!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the information, it is a mystery how it got in the area. It was in a wooded area that didn't look like anything had happened there for quite afew years. It was still hooked togather so it didn't break and fall off his arm and would have to have been very skinney to slide off, I can't begin to put it on mine with it closed. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
COOL FIND RON

Check the Front VERY CAREFULLY.

I found one Once & thought the Front was Blank.

After several Days I decided to Check.

There was a Name & Luckily he was in the Phone Book.

? ? ? WARNING THO
If you return it You may end up Sitting for hours Listening to his Life Story.? ;D

World War 2 Vetrans Seem to be the Most Appreciative, when it comes to returning Their Service Memories.

It was a Great Expierence Returning It.
CONGRATS on the Find & Good Luck IF you Decide to Try.

If there is or isn't a name.
Don't give up on this site.
Someone here may be able to trace it for you.

? ;) STONEY ?? ;)

HAPPY HUNTING
Jeff

Upvote 0
There must be a gov't agency where one could check who the serial number belonged to. It is a unique number and would be tied to the service records of that individual. I dare say that most of us vets remember our service number as well as our phone number or social security number. Even after 40 years, AF17657749 is still etched on my forehead..........figuratively speaking.

Upvote 0
Looks like the owners name is Paul A. Leitner, enlisted 06/25/1942 at the approximate age of 22 and was from the state of Ohio. Town is coming shortly.
BTW Jeff you're perfectly welcome

Upvote 0
Town enlisted was Toledo, Ohio.
You can click on areas above like place of enlistment and look in the popup box for view which will show the codes. Any ways, now I'm blind from the search.? ;D J/K

Upvote 0
I found a Paul Leitner in the Social Security Death Index. Social Security card issued in Ohio. He was born 31 Jan 1920 which would correspond to enlisting at age 22 in 1942. Death was 5 Aug 1996. The final death benefit was paid to someone in Westerville, Ohio.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help, I've shot some emails off, maybe I can find a son that would like to have his dads id bracelett. Would have loved to give it back to it owner.

Upvote 0
Very nice find and great research! Hope you can find a relative!

Nana ;)

Upvote 0
That would truly be an awesome ending to this story, wouldn't it? Good luck and keep us posted!

Upvote 0
Greaat story,I hope you can find a son or daughter of his.Yes,that would be a truly awesome ending rabajohn!Keep us posted Ron. H.H.-diggummup :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back