Is This an Antique Battle Axe or Just a Reproduction?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend's late mother bought this battle axe at least 50 years ago. She doesn't remember where her mother bought it, but she swears it's a real antique battle axe. I'm a little skeptical, but thought I'd get some input from you guys.

The axe is 23 inches long and very heavy. Not sure of the type of metal, but it's not magnetic. The handle is an unknown length because my friend's mother cut off most of it! She wanted to hang it on her wall, so that's why she cut it off.

It has been painted, but probably by her mother. The threaded screw eye may have also been added by her as well. Check out the photos and let me know what you think.

DSC02364.JPGDSC02365.JPGDSC02366.JPGDSC02367.JPG

Looks decorative. That in itself doesn't mean it's not old, as there are such things as parade armor and weapons. But in terms of a BATTLE axe, it just doesn't look to me like it was made for it.

Upvote 0
Possibly a stage prop, definitely not a real battle axe, possibly just a wall decoration as the others have stated.

Upvote 0
WAY too heavy to be aluminum. Definitely decorative, since the blade isn't sharp at all.

I knew this one was going to be tough to identify. No manufacturing marks anywhere on it and the original owner is long gone.

Upvote 0
Not a battle axe but a halberd. I'm guessing someone shortened the shaft or replaced it with a short version. Likely the original full-length was ornamental or ceremonial as it is riveted to a sheet metal socket. And if it's not steel it's not real.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is what a real antique "Battle Axe!" looks like! :laughing7:

(sorry ..I just couldn't help myself)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 10.18.49 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 10.18.49 PM.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0
Some sort of a cermonial pole arm. It looks like a halberd. I googled ceremonial halberd and came up with this Oceania

"Although similar in form to 15th century English military halberds, this weapon is entirely ornamental. The head has been cut from a single sheet of steel and is very light and flimsy compared with practical halberds of earlier times. The construction of the blade is schematic; it is almost a symbol of a halberd, rather than a real weapon - the blade doesn't have a real cutting edge and is only loosely attached to the shaft. It is quite easy, however, to recognise the three distinct 'spearhead', 'blade' and 'beak' parts. The spearhead part follows the model of a very wide Ox-tongue Pike, an antique British weapon at the time. This object is contemporary with the delicate rapier and small-sword so would have had a rather 'savage' and antique appearance three hundred years ago, highlighted by its elaborate red tassel and velvet-covered, brass-studded shaft."

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back