Is This A World War II Sword

TNStartinAgain

May 7, 2012
I was wondering if this is a World War II bayonet. And if so what can you tell me about it ? Thanks for the responses.

image-3891269268.jpg

I can tell you it is a bayonet.

We need MUCH more detailed (close-up) pictures and precise information about the size and any markings before we can ID this item.

Any info on where/how you got it might be helpful as well.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Ok just found out it has 86926...s on one side and possibly the word artellia on the other. Here are some more pics:

image-994505583.jpg

image-4122434985.jpg

image-265958966.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies DC Matt and Taz. I am trying to find out for a friend of mine that found it in a barn. He says its about 20" long overall.

Upvote 0
Looks to be a generic 98 Mauser bayonet. They were made all over Europe, from 1898 to around the end of WW2. From the length I would date it from after WW1, (I would expect a WW1 blade to be longer) but putting a hard date to it would be impossible without knowing the country of origin, and the maker.

Upvote 0
I think the word on the blade is probably "ARTILLERIA" Which would make it a Spanish bayonet. At "about" 20 inches it would be for the Spanish 1916 Short 7mm Mauser Rifle, but it would also fit the 1893 Spanish Mauser.

Edit : It probably would not have been used in WW2 as such, but it could have seen use during the Spanish Civil War.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back