is this a USN survival / rescue light?

Comanche Todd

Jan 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this at the flea market this morning for a dollar, it looks brand new?

the bottom is marked: USN, FULTON WAUSEON. O

and the switch is marked OFF / FLASH STEADY

it has a grey painted metal body and a baby pin attached to the side, and the dome / lens is plastic , it appears to take a D size battery.

I think this might be for downed pilots to attach to their survival vest?

what era is it from? is it WWII era ? Korean War? Vietnam war era ?

it's approximately 4" in tall

Attachments

• IM003688.JPG
    IM003688.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 489
  • IM003687.JPG
    IM003687.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 528
yep - its a battery powered life jacket light -- we used to have similar ones but it had no "usn" on ours back in the early 1980's on merchant marine vessels (they did look rather old fashioned at the time honestly--- but they worked well )---seen them every week when we did our fire drills / battery check -- used a "d" battery ---top un screws to replace em -- they currently use strobe type lights or chem stick type light (the better shipping companies use the strobe type lights --- but alot of them are going for the el cheapo chem lights on the "survival suits" or "gumbies" as we call em--- because its cheaper (hey it not the president of the company floating around in the ocean praying to be found after all) Ivan

Upvote 0
I found a photo of a group of WWII era flashlights, and I see one with a grey metal body that looks identicle to the one I have?

Attachments

• post-299-1168208296.jpg
    post-299-1168208296.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,362
Upvote 0
If it's the same thing - then I think you have one that might be that old too... certainly is a possibility.

Good job finding the pic!

Upvote 0
We were still using those in the 90s on our kapok life perservers.

Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
If it's the same thing - then I think you have one that might be that old too... certainly is a possibility.

Good job finding the pic!

a military collector informed me that mine is the early version circa 1943

the one in the above photo has a heavier duty safety pin [improved] mine is the earlier version with a light safety pin.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back