Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this today in the fmerg's farm field (corn) that dates back to colonial times, though I believe this item dates to the 1800's. It's made of solid copper. It has been painted black, but I can see traces of silver "gilt" on it. The loop has a diameter of 1.5" and is approx. 1/2" wide. In the side view you can see a wear pattern on the lower right side of the loop. Anyone know what this thing is? Thanks!

Attachments

• What Is It077.jpg
    What Is It077.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 596
  • What Is It078.jpg
    What Is It078.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 176
Yes, it is a horseharness rein-guide ...also called a rein terret. In use from the 1800s through today. See the photos below.

Attachments

• horsegear_reins-guides_Ebay.jpg
    horsegear_reins-guides_Ebay.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 395
  • horsegear_Rein-Guide-with-iron-retaining-collar-attached_TN.jpg
    horsegear_Rein-Guide-with-iron-retaining-collar-attached_TN.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,108
  • horsegear_reinguide-terret_Buggy-harness_Wikipedia.jpg
    horsegear_reinguide-terret_Buggy-harness_Wikipedia.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 247
Upvote 0
Super find Erik, and Great ID CannonballGuy!

Upvote 0
Thanks CannonballGuy for your very informative (as usual) post and ID of this item. I have found my share of horse tack (mainly in the form of buckles), but this is my first rein guide! Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Hi Chris, You might be right with that--I just assumed copper because of the green. Is there a simple way to tell the difference between the two metals?

I'd be willing to bet it's brass! God Bless Chris

Upvote 0
The only "simple" way is to make a TINY scrape through the patina/oxide, to expose a bit of "fresh" metal. Brass is yellow, and copper is (of course) the color of a new penny.

Acid-testing won't work, because brass is an alloy composed of (approximately) 75% copper and 25% zinc. There's so much copper in the brass that acid-testing can't tell you the difference between brass and all-copper objects.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back