🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Is this a real coin or fantasy piece?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was a big brass washer when I first found it. It was encrusted and before I cleaned it, I didn't realize it had a hole in the middle. It's huge....60mm or 2 5/16" in diameter. I know both Japan and China made some real big coins, but, I can't seem to find a match. Something more modern than my 1981 World Coin book? Souvenir piece?

Attachments

• 20230712_084307.jpg
    20230712_084307.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 20230712_084322.jpg
    20230712_084322.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
I found one similar to that at the Kern river in Keyesville They used to give them to the Chinese workers as payment for work then they would go to the company store & buy goods , To bad my brother's son lost it I have no pict. Great find !

Upvote 0
This would be closer:
s-l400.jpg

Described as a Bronze Phoenix Pattern, yet I can find nothing further to describe the 'coin'.
I believe the characters read: yong zheng tong bao (雍正通宝) .
Don...
That sure looks like it....on that side anyway.

Upvote 0
That one isn't as close a match, but, similar in design.

Upvote 0
I found another one that has the one similar side and it was identified as Japanese. I have my doubts about that though.....looks more Chinese to me, but, what do I know? :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Interesting find. The obverse seems to be styled on cash coins from the Qing (Ch’ing) dynasty of China with the reign titles for the Yongzheng (Yung-Chen) Emperor, also known by his temple name Shizong (Shih Tsung). He reigned from late 1722 to 1735, with coinage produced from 1723-1735. See comparison below:

Yongzheng .jpg

Most usually, his coins have the mint name on the reverse in Manchurian and Chinese characters, and the Manchu government also issued some cash coins from mints in the East Turkestan region during this period with reverse inscriptions in Arabic. It’s neither of those though, as well as being too large for a Qing coin.

I think this is not a coin in the sense that it was used as currency, but one of the many ‘charm coins’ usually produced in later times than the indicated Emperor. These were made as I-Ching divination and fortune-telling pieces, for Feng-Shui and other ‘good luck’ uses, and as celebratory gifts for birthdays, weddings, New Year etc. Often they have reverses with mystic designs/symbols, and stylised animals including dragons and such.

Upvote 7
Further adding to Red-Coat’s information, here is a link to an old Chinese online sales site with what appears to be the same coin.

The title states it’s an “old” 雍正通宝 Yongzheng coin with a dragon and phoenix on the back to ward off evil spirits but not clear on when it was made. It was selling at that time for around 18 US dollars.

front.jpg
back.jpg

Happy treasure hunting.

Upvote 5
Further adding to Red-Coat’s information, here is a link to an old Chinese online sales site with what appears to be the same coin.

The title states it’s an “old” 雍正通宝 Yongzheng coin with a dragon and phoenix on the back to ward off evil spirits but not clear on when it was made. It was selling at that time for around 18 US dollars.

View attachment 2093381View attachment 2093386

Happy treasure hunting.
That's the one! Thanks.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back