All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• meterorite 1.jpg
    meterorite 1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,363
  • meterorite 2.jpg
    meterorite 2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 683
is this a meteorite, my father in law had this and thinks it is possibly a meterorite, i have not researched this subject much any and all help would be greatly appreciated, sorry about thie pics i think he might be a little technologically challenged, i will try to get a better pic myself

help help
i know there are some very helpful people here

Although it appears to have been very hot at one time, I think it is more than likely volcanic in nature. The picture is not real clear so it is hard to tell. Most iron meteorites are black, smoothe and heavy.Most stone meteorites are heavily pock marked like yours, but usually they are some type of hard stone material, generally light colored. Only way to know for sure is to take it to a geologist or your local college. Good Luck. rockhound

I don't think so. I think it is a piece of weathered granite.

new picture

here is a better picture, hope this helps thanks for the help

Attachments

• meterorite 3.jpg
    meterorite 3.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 734
Hi Outlaw75,
No it is not a meteorite. It looks like a common rounded, river rock. If you have a rock saw, you could take off a small piece to see the inside but, you can make a "window" into the stone with a knife-sharpening stone and some sandpaper. If it had been a meteorite, you would see little shiny metal blebs of nickel-iron metal, the color of fresh-cut steel, and maybe some chondrules (little, distinctly round "balls" within the stony matrix). Another simple test is the "streak test". Scratch the stone across the UN-GLAZED side of a porcelain tile. A meteorite won't leave a streak. Common iron minerals tend to leave red, brown, or gray steaks. If you don't have an extra tile out in the garage, use the underside of your toilet-tank lid. Just don't let your wife catch you streaking that lid, or she'll have you locked up in the looney-bin. The stone also has some minor depressions but, these are not regmaglypts ("thumbprints'). Also, there is neither original, or remnant fusion crust. Keep looking for meteorites, the more you hunt, the more you learn, and increase your odds of making a find.

Good Luck, Ben

Hi Outlaw75,
No it is not a meteorite. It looks like a common rounded, river rock. If you have a rock saw, you could take off a small piece to see the inside but, you can make a "window" into the stone with a knife-sharpening stone and some sandpaper. If it had been a meteorite, you would see little shiny metal blebs of nickel-iron metal, the color of fresh-cut steel, and maybe some chondrules (little, distinctly round "balls" within the stony matrix). Another simple test is the "streak test". Scratch the stone across the UN-GLAZED side of a porcelain tile. A meteorite won't leave a streak. Common iron minerals tend to leave red, brown, or gray steaks. If you don't have an extra tile out in the garage, use the underside of your toilet-tank lid. Just don't let your wife catch you streaking that lid, or she'll have you locked up in the looney-bin. The stone also has some minor depressions but, these are not regmaglypts ("thumbprints'). Also, there is neither original, or remnant fusion crust. Keep looking for meteorites, the more you hunt, the more you learn, and increase your odds of making a find.

Good Luck, Ben
than you very much for the info

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back