31.6 KB · Views: 926
  • MVC-012F.JPG
    MVC-012F.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 916
  • MVC-013F.JPG
    MVC-013F.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 892
Upvote 0
I thought SoIll was being funny, so I googled it. WOW! It looks like metal in your pictures, but I'm guessing it's stone? I know nothing about birdstones, but I do know this will be an unusual find because I haven't seen one posted here before. Congratulations! (I would say the "B" word, but I'll leave that to more knowledgable minds than mine! :D)

popeyed birdstone. late archaic period (approx 3000bc to 500bc). once in a lifetime find. congrats. i don't see any plow scars. was this virgin ground? any other artifacts found in the vicinity? more pictures with scale and any associated artifacts please. what county/state was it found in? beautiful ceremonial piece. better than the one i found last year, but that's ok! hope other treasurenet viewers post their birdstone photos.

Holy cow. What a nice bird stone. Very unusual and rare. Fantastic find. I have only ever found a head of one. Tell your friend congratulations.That is musuem quality.

Is this a metal replica? I'm familiar with grinding and sanding marks on metal, totally UNfamiliar with authenic stone birdstones. I think I see modern metal work??? :dontknow: I hope not. :( I want this to be real! It was said this was plowed up, and I deferr to that :icon_thumleft:

No metal in it at all totally stone.It seems to be 2 differt types of stone Ive never seen anything like it.This was in a corn feild no kidding.

Find of a life time...BANNER in my opinion......unique abstract design,intact, nice shape a real study piece, created by a skilled artisan with a high degree of abstract ability. Great find!!!

mickey said:
popeyed birdstone. late archaic period (approx 3000bc to 500bc). once in a lifetime find. congrats. i don't see any plow scars. was this virgin ground? any other artifacts found in the vicinity? more pictures with scale and any associated artifacts please. what county/state was it found in? beautiful ceremonial piece. better than the one i found last year, but that's ok! hope other treasurenet viewers post their birdstone photos.
He found it on the edge of the Field next to a wooded area.didn't relay look for anything else because he was farming and didn't know what it was.Found in Branch county Michigan.

Kevin - be very cautious with this one. If authentic the piece is worth thousands of dollars. Very nice piece.

" You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. " *

* HONEST Abe Lincoln

thirty7 said:
" You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. " *

* HONEST Abe Lincoln

What do you mean

kevin11 said:
thirty7 said:

* HONEST Abe Lincoln

What do you mean

Well since you asked the piece looks like an obvious reproduction imo. Just my opinion, nothing personal. The material and workmanship is questionable. Also the grooves and drilled holes look modern, and the entire piece lacks the convincing patina you normally see on ancient pieces.

I wanted to clarify what I wrote on my first message. I also want to state that the poster kevin11 is an upfront, honest guy who posted the piece w/o any intention of foul play. The only information he left out is that the find was not made recently, and I only posted that I had seen the piece before. Nothing wrong with this, and I would hope that everyone understands why someone would leave out this information to protect their friend's interest.
My involvement with the piece was that I was asked to appraise it. I will leave out the rest of the details, but I can tell you that I did not appraise it at a reproduction value. I really don't think I should go into any more details w/o permission of the owner.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

No grooves at all in the holes, look totally smooth, that is what I find a little strange.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back