Is this a 35 date nail??

treasure777

Jul 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it deep in the dirt!!
benjamins date nail 47.jpgbenjamins date nail 000.jpgbenjamins date nail 999.jpgbenjamins date nail 47_LI.jpg

Last edited:
I think it may very well be, different railroads often had different size nails, I have come across both large and smaller head nails, some a little shorter, some a little longer, looks kind of toasted, so nothing to lose, try soaking it in vinegar to remove some rust, the date may show up much better.

Upvote 0
Looks right, about 2 inches long for the short and fat ones. Try using a wooden toothpick to clean up the date. if that doesnt work, vinegar might help. But I would not suggest soaking the whole thing in vinegar. I would try putting a few dropps on the head, letting it soak in for a minute, and then use the toothpick to try and clear about dirt etc...

Upvote 0
Haven't found to many but always have looked like these two I found last year.
IMAG0167.jpg

Upvote 0
Nice "nails" you have there Rick67 lol... I thought we try not to dig nails lol.. cool find though very cool

Upvote 0
I'll have to start digging nails now boy's and girls very interesting that even the most mundane items have a cool history

Upvote 0
What's the newest date you've seen on a RR date nail? I have a '32. Does any RR still date their ties? Gary

No, not any more, and have not for some time.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back