is there a locksmith in the house??? - UPDATED PIC OF KEYHOLE

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Hello all,

I found this padlock at the site where I found the 1828 large cent and the 1892 barber dime. I was wondering if one of you knowledgable people could help me with a date range that this lock could be from. I can see no markings on it at all and have not seen a lock that is made currently that has the flat look to the latch (whatever the arch thing is called) The keyhole is obviously on the bottom and I have the lock (bottom only) sitting in naval jelly right now to see if I can get rid of some of that rust. I believe it is made of brass or something that does not rust (except for the keyhole / tumbler). I gave it to my son because he likes to collect locks and keys and I wanted to get more info for him. I need to find a skeleton key for his collection but I am not sure if I am disc them out since I disc out iron. Would skeleton keys ring up as iron?
I saw the lock on the post by bmanley99 yesterday with his Yale lock and that got me to break this one out and see if anyone could give me more info.

Thanks for looking and the help

Funkman

Attachments

• lock side 1.JPG
    lock side 1.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 322
  • lock side 2.JPG
    lock side 2.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 330
  • lock bottom.JPG
    lock bottom.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 325
  • lock top.JPG
    lock top.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 325
Re: is there a locksmith in the house???

thanks for the reply PBK....I was hoping you would chime in. You must be an early bird like me.

Funkman

Upvote 0

funkman said:
thanks for the reply PBK....I was hoping you would chime in. You must be an early bird like me.

Funkman

If an old buzzard qualifies as an early bird, I guess I'm in! :D

Upvote 0

lonesomebob said:
PBK define old.

A few old-timers around here can remember when they dammed the river.

I can remember when they dug it! :D

Upvote 0
Re: is there a locksmith in the house??? UPDATED PIC OF KEYHOLE

Used a little naval jelly on the bottom and was able to scrape the rust off to get the keyhole shape anyway. This still look like the scandanavian style? Any pic of the actual style key that might have fit this or does this now look more modern (based on the keyhole).

Might try zapping it to see if I can get more rust off.

Thanks for the info

Funkman

Attachments

• lock bottom updated.JPG
    lock bottom updated.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 226
Upvote 0
It's fine. The same style of keyhole is shown in photos of a Scandinavian padlock with a patent date of 1881, in Jack Roberts' Antique Padlocks.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back