Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• image-3997197490.jpg
    image-3997197490.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 105
It is gold plated and was made by the firm of Leavenworth, Hayden and Scovill between 1811 and 1827.

Upvote 0
It is gold plated and was made by the firm of Leavenworth, Hayden and Scovill between 1811 and 1827.

Thanks! For me that's pretty awesome. Can you share your reference, I couldn't nail it down based on what was seeing anywhere.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
You could really bring out the shine on the "Gilt" with some Aluminum jelly. Lemon juice will work too, but do not leave it on too long. Better to do it in stages and check your progress.

Upvote 0
You could really bring out the shine on the "Gilt" with some Aluminum jelly. Lemon juice will work too, but do not leave it on too long. Better to do it in stages and check your progress.

I'll have to give it a try. Where can you get aluminum jelly?

Thanks for the post!

Upvote 0
Thanks! For me that's pretty awesome. Can you share your reference, I couldn't nail it down based on what was seeing anywhere.

Thanks again!
I have two reference books that have been very useful. The first is the "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons" by Alphaeus H. Albert, most commonly called "Albert's Button Book". The second one is "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks and Dates" by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon. Most people refer to it as "McGuinn and Bazelon".
ALbert's book has pictures of the buttons but McGuinn and Bazelon's has more detail on the makers.

Upvote 0
I'll have to give it a try. Where can you get aluminum jelly?

Thanks for the post!

You might be able to find it on the internet. Some Ace hardware stores carry it. Crazy good stuff. I use q tips and literally count 1001 1002 and rinse, it works that fast. Be careful, it will take good patina off too, ergo I use sharp pointy Qtips to control where it goes.

ALUM..jpg

Upvote 0
I have two reference books that have been very useful. The first is the "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons" by Alphaeus H. Albert, most commonly called "Albert's Button Book". The second one is "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks and Dates" by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon. Most people refer to it as "McGuinn and Bazelon".
ALbert's book has pictures of the buttons but McGuinn and Bazelon's has more detail on the makers.

Thank you very much I'll be getting those for sure.

Upvote 0
You might be able to find it on the internet. Some Ace hardware stores carry it. Crazy good stuff. I use q tips and literally count 1001 1002 and rinse, it works that fast. Be careful, it will take good patina off too, ergo I use sharp pointy Qtips to control where it goes.

View attachment 977791

I'll look for it I have an ace close by. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Love to find the old flat buttons. Always a good indicator of the sites age and potential. I have been in a site that has produced dozens and yet to get a coin from the period (which is unusual as well as frustrating), but it sure keeps you exited every time you get a target in the coin range in an area like that. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back