223.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 352
  • 223-2.jpg
    223-2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 357
Broken knee said:
How was it listed in the auction? HH
BK
Only description is "Approx. 2 3/16" by 3 7/16". Stamped brass construction w/ a lead filled back. For an enlisted man."

Upvote 0
The civil war era Original of this buckle did not have "arrowhead" belt-hooks.

Unless sometime did something stupid - like "fix" a broken hook. :dontknow:

Beth

Upvote 0
Sorry, but no. Here's why it absolutely cannot be a "hook-repair" civil war Original buckle. The Oval NC (North Carolina) buckle is a fantastically-rare Confederate buckle. Those particular "arrowhead" belt-hooks were not manufactured in the Confederacy. A Confederate soldier would not have access to them for repairing his damaged buckle ...unless he was willing to take a yankee prisoner's arrowhead-hooks buckle, melt the filler-metal out of its back to get the hooks loose, and also melt the filler-metal out of his NC buckle (WITHOUT damaging its very thin stamped sheetbrass front), and very precisely re-fill his buckle full of the molten metal, with the captured yankee arrowhead-hooks PERFECTLY positioned in it to conceal any sign of his major repair-work on his NC buckle.

The auction's lead-filled-back Oval NC buckle can be purchased for about $10-to-$15 from online sellers of Reproduction equipment for civil war battle re-enactors. For example, it appears the auction's EXACT version of lead-filled NC buckle (note the very-wide/thick letters NC) is available here: http://www.mapcrafts.com/wc_hm_qk/products.php?mcatid=15&scatid=15

Upvote 0
This is why I LOVE this site. You guys are awesome! :icon_thumright: I am new to this stuff (since December) so I have alot to learn. Thanks so very much for the help!

Upvote 0
I see I mis-typed in my first response, saying "sometime", instead of "someone".

You can also note that I went :dontknow: - because I don't know.

I do find it weird, though, that the hooks are a different color than the rest. Again, I say: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Beth

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back