🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Is it a cannonball

42 Scout car

Greenie
Nov 15, 2021

Attachments

• gg1.jpg
    gg1.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 59
Since you asked for me to speak... it is definitely not a cannonball. A cannonball only has a hole like that when it is a hollow explosive or incendiary shell. The ball in the photo is a Solid one. I'm 100% certain about that, because of its diameter-to-weight ratio. Thank you very much for providing the ball's precisely measured diameter and weight.

As Robertk indicated, the threaded hole suggests (but is not 100% proof) that this solid metal ball is some kind of "handle" knob, such as a shifter-knob, which screws onto a metal rod.

Upvote 5
Since you asked for me to speak... it is definitely not a cannonball. A cannonball only has a hole like that when it is a hollow explosive or incendiary shell. The ball in the photo is a Solid one. I'm 100% certain about that, because of its diameter-to-weight ratio. Thank you very much for providing the ball's precisely measured diameter and weight.

As Robertk indicated, the threaded hole suggests (but is not 100% proof) that this solid metal ball is some kind of "handle" knob, such as a shifter-knob, which screws onto a metal rod.
I really appreciate your help!

Upvote 4
Hi 42 Scout car, welcome to the "Show"!
This cannonball was fashioned during the War of 1812 period. It features a center hole for an explosive charge. This item gives insight into military ammunition from the War of 1812. Further research in 2010 shows it is a 3 1/2 inch shell, intact with a ribbed throat.
Cannon Ball.jpg

Upvote 2
Sorry...JustCannon Ball 2.jpg
Cannon Ball 2.jpg
saw the size!
AN EXTREMELY RARE 17TH/18TH CENTURY SMALL-SIZE IRON MORTAR-TYPE CANNON BALL/HAND-GRENADE, ca. 1680-1700: In overall very good+ untouched condition with nicely oxidized, russet-toned, iron surfaces. Of Very Rare 17th/Early 18th Century Small-Size Mortar-type, Cannonball/Hand-Grenade form with a central hollow/void for a powder-charge and a hole for its (wooden) fuse/sabot. A distinct medial seam and in overall very good+ untouched condition with dark-brown-colored iron surfaces, scattered discoloration, minor surface laminations, pitting and evident casting flaws, etc. An Extremely Rare Small-Size Mortar-type Cannon Ball/Hand-Grenade, ca. 1680-1700 with a very low survival rate. Approx. diameter, 2 1/2” (3 Pounder). For a similar example, please see G. C. Neumann’s & F. Kravic’s: “The Collector’s Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution". ***Only the Third Mortar Ball of this Small "Hand-Grenade Size", seen by this author.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back