Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_5006_1.jpg
    IMG_5006_1.jpg
    839.9 KB · Views: 110
These were also used as road flares, kerosene was the fuel.

• il_570xN.496736313_29r2.jpg

• A great old Dietz Smudge Pot #750 - 751, retains its original chain and strong red color. Smudge Pots were used in the 1940's thru the 1960's as Roadside Hazard Markers. Uses Kerosene.

Excellent vintage condition--Used. No dents that I can find. Some rust and scratches. Needs cleaning.

Measures about 9" tall and weights about 5 pounds.
Ship To
Cost
With Another Item
United States
$20.00 USD
$4.00 USD

Overview

• Vintage item from the 1940s
  • Material: metal
  • Only ships to United States from Hudson, Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Isn't that one of those old torches the highway department used to use before the flashing dc powered yellow lights? Back in the early '70s when I was a little fart I used to think they were bombs. I would see them on barricades and road closed signs. How big is it? bigger than a soft ball but smaller than a bowling ball? That's about the size i remember those things.

Upvote 0
That's funny because I found it half buried in the thicket along side my road. These were before my time. Very cool.

Upvote 0
I'd forgotten them as well. They were all over the place when I was a kid. Burning and unattended, in conjunction with barriers, warning about holes in the road, bridge out, etc.
Wow, how times have changed. Can't go off and leave an open fire now.

Upvote 0
rail roads used em-- road crews used em --and orange field /fruit growers whose plants would be effected by the cold used em to ward the cold off their groves as well. :headbang:

Upvote 0
I'd forgotten them as well. They were all over the place when I was a kid. Burning and unattended, in conjunction with barriers, warning about holes in the road, bridge out, etc.
Wow, how times have changed. Can't go off and leave an open fire now.
I saw in the paper last week that a young mother went to jail for allowing her 7 year old boy to go to the park unattended with nothing but a cell phone. Imagine what they would do to you now days for an open fire over a pot-hole in the road.
Nothing against the old country, but kids can still run free over here.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back