Iron

smr1000

Aug 20, 2023
Northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 300
I'm pretty new to metal detecting and my experience today has made me wonder if I need to rethink my approach. I have a Nokta Legend. Tested out the Beast Mode for the first time before the rains came. Trying so hard to learn my machine. This is an all metal program, whereas I've previously never gone after iron tones. Always just silence the tones below say 10 on the legend. Never hear the single digits. Mainly hunt a couple of old woods near me where people have been since the late 1890s. No houses or cellar holes. A place where people would hunt and farm long ago. It's not like I'm near any former battle fields or military camps. Previously the only iron I've found is horse shoes, tools, railroad spikes that show up as a higher mixed VDI. I had thought that this was due to some degradation of the iron. Today I found a cast iron cap gun which I think is from the 1920s. It was a very strong low tone, VDI of 4. Was really shocked with the find. I know that there are no 'always' and 'nevers' in anything. However, I would be grateful if those of you with experience could give me your thoughts about your approach to such low tones in an area such as mine. This cap gun makes me wonder if I've been missing out on potentially interesting relics. I think that the find was a reflection of an all metal program, as opposed to the Beast Mode itself. I've spent hours on YouTube and this site and have learned so much. I just hope that my question isn't silly, too broad or impossible to answer. Thanks in advance! Thanks for all that you've taught me!

...wonder if I need to rethink my approach. I have a Nokta Legend. Tested out the Beast Mode...
tn_metal_detector.gif
Until a member(s) pipes in - you might consider posting your request on on NOKTA DETECTORS > NOKTA LEGEND for additional exposure...

I'm pretty new to metal detecting and my experience today has made me wonder if I need to rethink my approach. I have a Nokta Legend. Tested out the Beast Mode for the first time before the rains came. Trying so hard to learn my machine. This is an all metal program, whereas I've previously never gone after iron tones. Always just silence the tones below say 10 on the legend. Never hear the single digits. Mainly hunt a couple of old woods near me where people have been since the late 1890s. No houses or cellar holes. A place where people would hunt and farm long ago. It's not like I'm near any former battle fields or military camps. Previously the only iron I've found is horse shoes, tools, railroad spikes that show up as a higher mixed VDI. I had thought that this was due to some degradation of the iron. Today I found a cast iron cap gun which I think is from the 1920s. It was a very strong low tone, VDI of 4. Was really shocked with the find. I know that there are no 'always' and 'nevers' in anything. However, I would be grateful if those of you with experience could give me your thoughts about your approach to such low tones in an area such as mine. This cap gun makes me wonder if I've been missing out on potentially interesting relics. I think that the find was a reflection of an all metal program, as opposed to the Beast Mode itself. I've spent hours on YouTube and this site and have learned so much. I just hope that my question isn't silly, too broad or impossible to answer. Thanks in advance! Thanks for all that you've taught me!
Hi. Im not acquainted with that detector but ill tell you how I hunt.
I always hunt with zero audio discrimination. I listen to everything.
One of the reasons for that is that when im searching areas im alerted to a potentially good spot by the increase of targets. 9 times out of 10 im alerted by increase or suddenly coming across dozens of junk target sounds. I still use tone sounds which tell me but never use reject. I want to hear everything thats going on under my coil at all times. Some larger iron types and shapes give good target sounds and always have on anything I have used, par for the course. But often i have found good keepers or interesting finds that had I used full discrimination and rejected all low numbers I would never have recovered them. I fully believe too that if I hunted in silence from low numbers I would have walked past many good spots in the past instead of slowing down and investigating the place.
Others here will have lots more info to tell you than me.
All a learning curve which never ends in detecting.
Good luck 👍

You'll want to use all metal without discrimination. I've found the deeper items get, the more likely they will sound like iron. Try to get yourself in the habit of digging all targets, you just never know for sure what you'll end up with. Plus, the more iron and trash you clear, the better chance to find non-ferrous targets.

tn_metal_detector.gif
Until a member(s) pipes in - you might consider posting your request on on NOKTA DETECTORS > NOKTA LEGEND for additional exposure...
Thanks VPNavy. My question really isn't about the legend. Rather it is peoples'
You'll want to use all metal without discrimination. I've found the deeper items get, the more likely they will sound like iron. Try to get yourself in the habit of digging all targets, you just never know for sure what you'll end up with. Plus, the more iron and trash you clear, the better chance to find non-ferrous targets.
I just wanted to thank you for your advice. I usually "dig it all," but that will now include the iron tones. I'm sure that you experienced detectorists truly appreciate the complexity of metal detecting. However, this hobby can be as complicated, as it can be wonderful. The learning curve is steep!! Truly, thanks.

Thanks VPNavy. My question really isn't about the legend. Rather it is peoples'

I just wanted to thank you for your advice. I usually "dig it all," but that will now include the iron tones. I'm sure that you experienced detectorists truly appreciate the complexity of metal detecting. However, this hobby can be as complicated, as it can be wonderful. The learning curve is steep!! Truly, thanks.
Oh, I'm not that experienced. Only been doing this about a year and a half. Heck I'm still a newb. Metal detecting can be complicated and frustrating. Believe me, I get tired of digging trash. But, for every half 5-gallon pail of trash I pull from some permissions, I do find one or two good pieces. One day I dug a pouch full of trash and was ready to pack it in for the day. While swinging on my way back to the car I hit decent signal that turned out to be a sleigh bell. My only good find in about 5 hours that day.

The legend is a good machine. I'm not so sure about beast mode though. I had one good experience using it. But I haven't spent much time using it to be fair. I have the LG24 coil on mine for park hunting. Did you buy the pro pack with the round 6" coil? The 6" is an awesome coil for trashy areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back