Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Wedge?...date of 3" spikes

Found these near the entrance of an old 1860's coal mine. The spikes are 3". Anyone got a date or use for them?

The other object is a wedge shaped hunk of iron. I'm thinking maybe for splitting wood or rock, except for the large center bulge. I'm guessing it weighs about 2 pounds.
From the bottom, it almost looks as though it was attached to a handle.

I also found a couple tags in the same area. One was right on the surface and the other was close to 5" deep and has the number 6 on it. I can't make any detail on the other.

Al

Attachments

• DSCF1765.JPG
    DSCF1765.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 348
  • DSCF1767.JPG
    DSCF1767.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCF1769.JPG
    DSCF1769.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 348
  • DSCF1768.JPG
    DSCF1768.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 352
  • DSCF1773.JPG
    DSCF1773.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 348
Re: Iron Wedge?...date of 3" spikes

The spikes may have been used on a narow set of tracks to move ore out of the mine? Don't know about the others. Monty

Upvote 0

The spikes were used on the rails in the mines. The Brass tags were used by the miners. When they went into the mines they took a number. If anything happened in the mines they could account for the miners by the tags. That is one thing I heard. The other thing I was told is that when a miner would load a coal car in the mines and it was pulled out it would have his tag on it so they would know who loaded the coal and the miner was paid for the coal he loaded?????? ???

Upvote 0

Thanks ALABEAR...that's really interesting info in the tags. The tags are brass.

Al

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back