Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in the cellar hole I've been excavating from an 1880's homestead. It has one rather large bent nail through one side, and a hole in the opposite side that presumably would have had a similar nail. Maybe something to attach to a log or beam? No obvious signs of wear on the smaller ring, and the gap in the larger one appears intentional. It's about an inch thick (I forgot to take a side shot), and front and back look the same. Does anyone know what this was for?

IMG_1659.jpg IMG_1658.jpg IMG_1660.jpg IMG_1662.jpg

I found this in the cellar hole I've been excavating from an 1880's homestead. It has one rather large bent nail through one side, and a hole in the opposite side that presumably would have had a similar nail. Maybe something to attach to a log or beam? No obvious signs of wear on the smaller ring, and the gap in the larger one appears intentional. It's about an inch thick (I forgot to take a side shot), and front and back look the same. Does anyone know what this was for?
well thank god for that nail in it. Otherwise i would of maybe guessed a neck shackle. ugh
one would think with the nail, that there must of been wood inside the bigger circle. hmmmm :icon_scratch:

Upvote 1

View attachment 2098144 View attachment 2098141 View attachment 2098143 View attachment 2098142
Has definitely peeked my interest. Just thinking out loud some type of “log dog” ?

Upvote 1
well thank god for that nail in it. Otherwise i would of maybe guessed a neck shackle. ugh
one would think with the nail, that there must of been wood inside the bigger circle. hmmmm :icon_scratch:
That was exactly my thoughts on first seeing it, but there is no hinge, so really no way to put it around a neck (or anything else) without sliding it in there.

Has definitely peeked my interest. Just thinking out loud some type of “log dog” ?
I don't think so, at least not if current log dogs are any indication. It would have been limited to only certain size logs, and hard to get on and off. Modern log dogs are effectively just two hooks with a hinge.

The only thing I can think of is some kind of a standoff mount, to mount a smaller pole (or pipe) next to and parallel with a larger one. But I don't know what the usage would have been back then.

Upvote 1
What about a way of hanging something from a main beam log ?

Upvote 1
What about a way of hanging something from a main beam log ?
That’s possible. The nail hole placement seems odd for that, but still possible.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering about something on a wagon.
Somehow that’s kinda what it seems like to me, too, but weren’t wagons typically made of planks rather than logs? Were the “frames” made of logs?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back