Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello all, this past Sunday I had the pleasure of detecting with Joe Dirt at the permission I pulled the silver halves and the Washington Bicentennial tokens from the Sunday before.

We didn't get silver, but did manage a few interesting items. One thing I can't figure out is this hunk of iron. I usually don't take home much iron, unless it's interesting... this thing interested me.

IMG_4022.JPGIMG_4023.JPG

It's 4 1/2" long, 3 1/4" wide at the ends, 1/2" thick, and weighs 8.4 oz. For the life of me I can't imagine what it might be. The four tabs on the back lead me to think it was attached to something. Bob said maybe something ornate mounted on a wood stove, or at the cemetery across the street maybe some sort of emblem or plaque or something mounted on a stone or cross. The floral design in the center tells me it was made to enhance something it was mounted on... anyone with any ideas, I'd love to hear about them... thanks for looking! Happy Hunting!

Hi Russ M, what an interesting find. Your (& Bob's) logic seems sound. Also examine old maps & talk to area old-timers to find out the history of that area - which may hold more clues. Hopefully, someone on TNet will ID.

Upvote 0
With the nubs on the back, my guess is an ornamental trivet.

Upvote 0
We would have totally brought that home! Nice find! Hope you get a good ID!

Upvote 0
The wood stove part is what I was thinking as well.
This might of been the air draft cover-then there was a piece that could be slid/moved/turned/flipped in between it and the stove to regulate the draft in the fire box.

Upvote 0
Thanks all, after looking at various trivets I think that this might be something along those lines. Whether it was ornamental, part of a stove, or maybe something to set hot pots or sad irons on... I'm not sure, but it seems to make sense. I doubt I'll ever see that exact one, so to say for sure what it is, I can't.... but it looks like some of them, especially the little tabs on the back might have been bigger at one time.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back