Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking to ID the iron hook and PENN key I dug this afternoon.

Thinking the hook was for a tow chain back when, but not sure.

Wondering approx age of key.

Though not readable in pic, key says PENN in capital letters. No other markings.

hook1.jpg hook2.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also dug (not shown) a 1951 Wheat penny. My 1st in awhile. :thumbsup:

if you knock some of that rust off with a hammer,it may be more readily identified.

tried it. not much change at all. that stuff is on there. did not want to harm it any. need find a better way to clean it.

Upvote 0
i was thinking about apple cider vinegar as it has worked on smaller objects in the past. worth a shot! thanks for advising! i think i stumbled on a old garage site or something of that nature. too much iron stuff around there and most looks garage and tool oriented. then the wheat penny. need try to find some historical photos of the area.

Upvote 0
I think you might be right with a tow hook idea. It does look like one missing it's eye?

Upvote 0
I think you might be right with a tow hook idea. It does look like one missing it's eye?

yes, that was my 1st thought when i dug it. nowhere to attach a chain. also looks handmade.

Upvote 0
The loop for the attachment might have been broke off. The only other thing I can think of is maybe a piece of a pot hook?

Upvote 0
i searched the area very well. so many iron signals. this is a corner in front of a school. couple of oak trees. just thought i would detect there as rain was coming and wanted to get some time in 1st. i was amazed. knew it has to be an old garage or something. too many iron signals there. lots of tool type things, etc. wheat penny was a bonus for such a short hunt. its raining big time now. glad i got that dig in!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
i searched the area very well. so many iron signals. this is a corner in front of a school. couple of oak trees. just thought i would detect there as rain was coming and wanted to get some time in 1st. i was amazed. knew it has to be an old garage or something. too many iron signals there. lots of tool type things, etc. wheat penny was a bonus for such a short hunt. its raining big time now. glad i got that dig in!

Do you have pics of the other tools?

Upvote 0
I have only one other tool. i can take a pic and post it. A friend of mine snagged the others to add to his tool set. A few wrenches and a screwdriver.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back