Iron cross or possible KKK cross???

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this cross which had a couple loops of chain hanging on but fell off as we examined it and went back down into the 12" hole we pulled it from. It measures 1" X 1" not counting the loops. Has as you can see white lacquer paint or possibly enamel-very fragile and what seems to be copper base metal. I have spent hours looking for anything that remotely looks like it except for going on any KKK website. It was found on the easter shore of Maryland. Upon one search a KKK medal popped up with my search of iron cross and it was kind of like what I have. Guys I just dont know and maybe someone has a clue. Plz let me know. Im going to post it on the general board also and maybe between the two someone has an idea. We have owned the property this was found on for decades-1950's but houses hadnt been placed on property until 1978.

Attachments

• cross front.jpg
    cross front.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 256
  • cross back.jpg
    cross back.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 262
these Iron cross have been made into all kind of jewelry over the years so will be hard to find exact copy of this item,,, but i have seen these guys and gals pull some amazing finds out of thin air .

Upvote 0
Having been in the army i would lean towards shooting badge from the small loops on the end would hang your level of marksmanship

Upvote 0
yep jus like those pics from mical66

Upvote 0
but i would think if yours was military it would have some makers mark on back , so makes me think it was a after market costume jewelry .

i will keep looking and see what i can find untill some one else speaks up with a positive ID.

Upvote 0
Well wish i was at home i could look on the back of mine for a makers mark dont ever recall seeing one but i havent showed them to the kids in a couple of years so wouldnt have a clue

Upvote 0
i looked at the picture you posted of the back and did not see a mark.
but here is another medal , it is a ribon medal and not the same style as yours but it has the white center. its labeled a German White Iron Cross.

white cross..jpeg

Upvote 0
this is interesting, i have not found any American Medals yet with a white cross , but have found several German ones . although none match yours it does show that they made the White Enamel Iron Crosses .
so maybe it is a German Military hanging medal , like the US Marksman .

A_Rare_Schalburg_51929b2a337fc.jpg

Upvote 0
I think it might be some kind of marksmanship medal because that one picture showing the hanging "rifle" piece has the same loops that fell off of mine. Now I'm going back to that area to see if there is a secondary piece

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I think it might be some kind of marksmanship medal because that one picture showing the hanging "rifle" piece has the same loops that fell off of mine. Now I'm going back to that area to see if there is a secondary piece

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
I think you may be right. There were many shooting clubs throughout the years also. So, it doesn't have to be military to be a shooting award/ribbon medal.

Upvote 0
i dug this iron surfer's cross tonight. so, i was also looking up information and ran across your thread. yes, many have appropriated the iron cross. this is part of the surfing subculture since the 1960s.

nice find by the way. we have such a great hobby. you never know what you are going to dig. i was surprised as i was after civil war bullets.

surfers-cross.jpg

Upvote 0
i dug this iron surfer's cross tonight. so, i was also looking up information and ran across your thread. yes, many have appropriated the iron cross. this is part of the surfing subculture since the 1960s.

nice find by the way. we have such a great hobby. you never know what you are going to dig. i was surprised as i was after civil war bullets.

View attachment 1366912

Marksman award for 'shooting the curl', no doubt... :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back