Iron Cross: Legitimate or Fake?

ConnerBates123

Aug 4, 2015
AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased this Iron Cross in an Antique store a few years ago. I figured it was a fake after a few days ownership and tossed it in a drawer. I came across it again today, and decided to run the tests to see if it was fake or original, and it passed the paper test and the magnetic test on all parts. This confirms it is 3 parts and has the correct metal composition. It also appears to show age. What do you fellow WWII collectors out there think? I am attempting to upload pics of the medal. (If I could be told how to do so that would be great, as I am new here if they do not attatch) 20150804_184710.jpg20150804_184716.jpg20150804_184722.jpg20150804_184736.jpg20150804_184740.jpg20150804_184820.jpg

It looks to good to be true.
Some pics of the stamps would be helpful on the reverse side

Upvote 0
The side that has the "1813" stamp? Sorry if I did not post a pic, here it is meets all standards of originality I can find...the guy seemed to be a collector, had some really nice original pieces that I could confirm as authentic, but I purchased this only 20150804_184736.jpg

Upvote 0
There are very high quality fakes and repros out there. It's important to study it carefully. The reeding in the corners looks good. Are there any makers marks on it on or near the loop? There appears to be a stamp on the ring in the last pic..... Does the ribbon glow under a black light?

Some of the EK2's (Eiserne Kreuz 2cd class) out there have been assembled from genuine leftover parts after the war, they technically are "real" but not wartime issue which is a big sticking point among collectors, many of them were put together by the original makers as well and there's pretty much no way to tell them apart. Sounds weird, but after the war, all the occupation forces guys were looking for souvenirs and since most of the original stuff had been scooped up, hidden away or destroyed by then there was a thriving market for those items, and the medal makers took advantage of that....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There appears to be an "EA" Marking on the ring, I will have to check if I have a black light, but I do not believe I do

Upvote 0
The makers number should be on the suspension ring and just below the eylet.there is a website that you can track info down on medals, recipient, date of issue etc.
I agree there is some great counterfeits out there.
Good luck keep us updated

Upvote 0
Yes, now looking closer it could be a "38" or an "83" on the suspension ring

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Used a magnifying glass and can now read "93" as the maker's number. will try and find some info, but I haven't seen any pages yet about Iron Cross makers marks

Upvote 0
93 indicates the maker was RS&S which was Richard Simm & Söhne located in Gablonz

I'd say you have a genuine wartime EK2. A close up of the mark would help just to be sure it's not added later (looking for correct font) but I think overall it looks right to me. The ribbon, if it glows is a repro or post war issue for the 1957 version that was brought back for veterans and had 1957 in place of 1939 and obviously lacks the swastika... If it doesn't glow it's period. Finding a EK2 with its original ribbon is uncommon as the ribbon was sewn to a button hole and not worn with the medal

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I used a magnifying glass and saw that I was way off, it's actually a "93" which I believe indicates production by 'Richard Simm & Söhne'

Upvote 0
I can't believe I didn't see that makers mark before, I sure am glad I can now add this to my display as a genuine piece instead of it sitting in a drawer. Thank you so much for your help, I would have never seen the makers mark without the help of you fantastic people on this website.

Upvote 0
I can't believe I didn't see that makers mark before, I sure am glad I can now add this to my display as a genuine piece instead of it sitting in a drawer. Thank you so much for your help, I would have never seen the makers mark without the help of you fantastic people on this website.

You're welcome, it's a nice looking EK2 glad I could help.

Upvote 0
YOU CANT GO WRONG ON TNET . MORE KNOWLEDGE THAN A BOX OF ENCYCLOPIDIAS . BATES , WELCOME NEW MEMBER AND THATS A MIGHTY FINE MEDAL'

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back