Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It weighs 3.7 pounds and has a diameter of approximately 3.10 inches. I think it's a grinding ball, but it looks alot like a cannon ball doesn't it? Of course if it was a cannon ball it would be contemporary to the war of 1812 and Revolution. I don't think it is that old. Likely a grinding ball from a 20th century mill or something. It appears to be made of cast steel or cast iron - it has faintly visible seam lines and a sprue mark. Not really treasure, but it was the only significant find I made today. :) :duckie:

20160121_162740.jpg20160121_180001.jpg

20160121_162808.jpg

Upvote 6
Looks like its a ball from a "Ball Mill" for grinding ore into powder.

Mike

I can always expect the unexpected when opening your post! Always a lesson for me...:thumbsup:

Would be awesome if it is a cannon ball.

I hope yours turns out to be something better than my ball used by concrete truck drivers to break up dried concrete in the trucks lol!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453462649.431248.jpg

I hope yours turns out to be something better than my ball used by concrete truck drivers to break up dried concrete in the trucks lol!
View attachment 1263373

If you search Ebay you will see tons of these trying to be passed off as cannon balls. Many fools are probably tricked into paying $30+ for one even though they're likely worth about 80 cents.

MAN WHERE DID YOU FIND BABE RUTHS BASEBALL . I THOUGHT WAS A SHOT PUT FOR A SMALL PERSON....

BB from a 1942 Red Ryder...they made things heavy duty back in the day.

BB from a 1942 Red Ryder...they made things heavy duty back in the day.

Yes, nothing says play time like a "miniature" 200-pound deck gun filled with the childish amount of only 1 pound of gunpowder. Kids would chase each other around their front yards back then firing 4 pound balls of iron at each other at 1,000 fps, and at the end of the day come inside with only a few light bruises. Those were the good old days. :laughing7:

Looks like a cannon ball to me, but I've never found a cannon ball, so what do I know. I did drive a concrete truck back in the day and never heard of using steel balls to knock dry concrete loose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back