✅ SOLVED Intricate Brass Item Dug Alongside Flat Buttons, No Clue!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, I found this "thing" tonight alongside where I have found colonial relics as well as pre Civil War relics, nothing much later, or earlier. It looks like it has a specialized purpose, and I am sharing so that you guys can possibly help me figure out just what it is. I found it in the very far end of a field, about 300 yards from where the cabin would have stood. I can't wait for the ID on this one, it has me scratching my head. My guess is some sort of powder flask button. I will be researching too until we have a positive ID. Thanks guys!
FoundinNC

IMAG1799.jpg
IMAG1800.jpg
IMAG1801.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking up in confirmation, your guess is correct, it is a Colonial Era shot-flask's "measuring-gate." For anybody here who doesn't already know... it allowed only the desired amount of shot to pour out of the flask when you upended the flask into the gun's muzzle and pressed the lever-button on the gate.

Upvote 0
Speaking up in confirmation, your guess is correct, it is a Colonial Era shot-flask's "measuring-gate." For anybody here who doesn't already know... it allowed only the desired amount of shot to pour out of the flask when you upended the flask into the gun's muzzle and pressed the lever-button on the gate.
CBG....could you please verify how one would know if its Colonial?I have dug many of them(actually posted one and one of my shot socks in that thread)and I have never hunted a Colonial site?

Upvote 0
Hey FoundInNC!! It appears to be an old telegraph key, from what I can see!! CONGRATS!! NEAT FIND!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Upvote 0
These thumb levers, operating two sliding gates, allow for selection of the size of shot dispensed from shot pouches. They will date from the mid-1800's and later. I have personally dug a number of these shot chargers and lever gates, some of which are marked American Flask & Cap Company. The American Flask & Cap Company was organized in Waterbury Connecticut in 1857.

The brass thumb levers and charger tubes for shot pouches date well into the 19th Century, and are certainly post-Colonial American.

CC Hunter

Attachments

• Shot Charger.jpg
    Shot Charger.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Shot Pouch.png
    Shot Pouch.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 190
Upvote 0
CC Hunter wrote:
> These thumb levers, operating two sliding gates, allow for selection of the size of shot dispensed
> from shot pouches. They will date from the mid-1800's and later.

First, let me say plainly that I am NOT dismissing what CC Hunter says. But I disagree that the Shot Flask measuring-gate dug by FoundInNC selects the SIZE of shot to be dispensed. Also, I believe FoundInNC's find dates somewhat further back in time than the mid-1800s.

In my opinion, Shot Flask measuring-gates date from the very-late 1700s into the mid-1800s (and somewhat later). Unfortunately, the explanation isn't short-&-simple. It contains technical jargon, and very close inspection of the 1869 Patent's DIAGRAM and its accompanying text.

There are two types of US Patents:
1- A patent which is awarded for an "original" invention, meaning, something that did not previousl exist.
2- An "Improvement" patent, awarded for improving somebody else's previous invention without changing it enough to qualify as a NEW invention.

The 1869 Patent diagram showing a Shot Flask with a measuring-gate on the flask's EXTERNAL tube is an Improvement patent. As that patent's diagram and text show, the Improvement patent was granted for adding an INTERNAL gate (inside the flask's neck, not the external tube) and for partitioning of the flask's main body.

Very important:
Note that the patent's diagram is labeled with identifying letters for various parts (such as the LOWER-CASE letters c, h, f, and s), and the patent's text refers to those letters in explaining the inventor's improvement of a Shot Flask by ADDING an INTERNAL gate and internal partitions for different sizes of shot-balls. Now, here's what's very important. The external measuring-gate has no labeling-letters. That means the inventor made NO CHANGES to the external gate's PREVIOUSLY-EXISTING form.

Here's a link to the 1869 Improvement Patent's diagram and explanatory text:
http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat96298.pdf
If the link doesn't work, go to www.pat2pdf.org and type the patent number (96,298) into the search-box.

Note that in the photo below, there is no metal sleeve and spring-stud (labeled "f" and "s" in the patent-diagram) between the flask's leather body and external tube (where the measuring-gate is located).

Attachments

• shot-flask_measuring-gate_closeup.jpg
    shot-flask_measuring-gate_closeup.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 131
  • patent-diagram_shot-flask_1869-improvement_Shot%20Pouch.png
    patent-diagram_shot-flask_1869-improvement_Shot%20Pouch.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The wording in my description; "These thumb levers, operating two sliding gates, allow for selection of the size of shot dispensed from shot pouches", is indeed in error as kindly pointed out by TheCannonballGuy.

For accuracy the sentence should read; "These brass thumb levers, operating two sliding gates, allow for a pre-measured amount of shot to be dispensed from a shot pouch."

For selection of shot size, in shot pouches carrying more than one size, there is actually a separate lever function, as noted with the illustrated patent diagram from 1869, showing the size selection lever at the side of the pouch throat.

Regarding the time frame of these brass lever gate actuated chargers for shot pouches, an excellent reference is the extensive guide compiled and authored by Ray Riling;

The Powder Flask Book

SHOT POUCHES (p.430):

"The shot belt, single or double, was in favor with sportsmen at the beginning of the 19th century. These belts, worn about the waist or slung from the shoulder according to the mode, were equipped with diverse sorts of shot-dispensing chargers. The reader may note a number of these arrangements by viewing page III of the Sykes* catalog shown on our page 191. The most reliable and popular forms of these chargers continued in use through the life of shot dispensers on a number of later pouches."

* Thomas Sykes, British Maker: This maker is first mentioned in the Sheffield General Directory for 1817, in connection with Sykes & Son, makers of leather powder flasks and military powder horns, with no address given. In the 1828 Directory and Guide for Sheffield, both Thomas Sykes and Sykes & Sons are listed as makers of patent leather powder flasks and shot-belt manufacturers at 12 Duke St. Sheffield. Sykes & Sons are listed at various addresses through the 1840's-1850's. By 1864, Sykes had gone out of business.

"Perhaps the first form of production shot pouch was the one attached to or carried by, a belt and worn in a manner similar to that of the shot belt. The shot belt, and the pouch and belt combination, particularly in England and on the Continent, gave way to the shot pouch carried by a cord, in the early part of the century. Although the American Flask & Cap Company advertised the older forms in their catalog, the pouch had become the popular production shot container of the sportsman."

From records, we may note that the American Flask & Cap Company was organized in Waterbury Connecticut in 1857. Several of the brass lever actuated gate chargers that I have personally found, and of the exact same style as the one first posted here, have markings of American Flask & Cap Company. The photo that I supplied above of the excavated and complete brass lever actuated gate charger, is one of my personal recoveries. Although this particular one is unmarked, the context of recovery was a homesite that produced artifacts from about 1860-1920. Nothing earlier was noted to be found on this site.

The majority of brass lever actuated gate chargers in my experience, have come from sites dating circa 1850-1880. At this time, there are no examples that can be recalled in my memory ever being found at sites strictly dating pre-1820 (The date of 1820 is generally considered the end of the Colonial Era by most historians and collectors, though technically the actual American Colonies ceased upon the formation of the United States a couple generations earlier).

CC Hunter

Attachments

• Hathaway Flask Charger.png
    Hathaway Flask Charger.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 180
  • J.M. Hathaway Shot Pouch.png
    J.M. Hathaway Shot Pouch.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found one too some years ago, here's some picsbeach 003.jpgbeach 001.jpgbeach 002.jpg Don't know if it is as old as yours! Anyways, nice find :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Two examples of Am. Flask & Cap Co. (American Flask & Cap Company) marked chargers, made of brass are shown below. The shape and style of the brass lever and gates on these, is a very close match to the excavated lever example shown by FoundInNC at the beginning of this thread.

In comparison, a Sykes marked charger of English origin, while similar in function, carries a steel lever of slightly different design. Sheffield, long being a great steel production center, could account for a higher probability of the use of steel in various components. American manufacturers based in Waterbury CT (Brass City USA in the 19th and early 20th Century), would surely choose brass whenever function and opportunity allowed. Some similarity is noted in comparable Hawksley and Dixon shot flasks of the same time period, examples sporting brass levers as well. During the highly competitive markets of the Victorian era, American companies copying British designs, and vice versa, was a common occurrence.

The earlier style shot pouches as described by Riling, later replaced by the more popular shot flasks in the 19th century, were generally as shown in the last two photos here, utilizing a removeable tubular measuring scoop.

CC Hunter

Attachments

• Am Flask Charger1.JPG
    Am Flask Charger1.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Am Flask Charger.JPG
    Am Flask Charger.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Sykes Charger.JPG
    Sykes Charger.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Early Shot Pouch.JPG
    Early Shot Pouch.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Early Shot Measure.JPG
    Early Shot Measure.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 0
The following link carries an informative article on the history of the metal powder flask:

http://The Metal Flask, Successor to the Powder Horn | Collectors Weekly

The American Flask & Cap Company organized in 1857, was consolidated with the Waterbury Brass Company in 1865. After joining Waterbury Brass Company, the American Flask & Cap Company name and markings were continued in use through the 1870's.

Waterbury and Her Industries
Fifty Attractive and Carefully Selected Views

Author: Homer Franklin
Published: 1889

The Waterbury Brass Company has been engaged in the manufacture of brass and wire for more than forty years. It was organized in 1845 and rolled the first brass February 9, 1846, having built what is known as the East Mill during the previous year. At that time this was the largest brass mill in the country. The original capital was $40,000, which has been increased from time to time, from the earnings, to its present amount. In 1852 the business had reached such proportions that the West Mill was built, and since that time the office of the company has been located at that mill. (24) Israel Holmes was elected the first president of the company; the other officers were Solomon B. Minor, secretary, and Timothy Porter, treasurer. Lyman W. Coe was elected secretary and treasurer at the annual meeting in 1846, and the capital stock was increased to $50,000 at the same time. Mr. Holmes resigned the presidency in 1853 and was succeeded by Mr. Coe, who held the office until 1855, when he resigned and John P. Elton was elected in his stead, holding the office until his death, November 10, 1864. January 25, 1865, Calvin H. Carter was elected to the office of president, which had remained vacant since the death of Mr. Elton. At the annual meeting in 1865 the capital stock was increased to its present sum of $400,000; and on the 20th of March of the same year, the American Flask and Cap Company was consolidated with the Waterbury Brass Company. The American Flask and Cap Company was formed in 1857, by the union of the American Flask Company of Meriden, Conn., and the Walter Hicks Percussion Cap Company of Haverstraw, N. Y.. It purchased the property of the Manhan Manufacturing Company, consisting of the large stone factory and other buildings contiguous to the West Mill, and the water privilege which furnished the power for both. Abram Ives, the president of the American Flask and Cap Company and a director in the brass company, was elected president of the consolidated company, which office he held until 1867, when, having sold his stock, he resigned and Mr. Carter was again elected president. Two years later Joseph C. Welton suceeded Mr. Carter as president, and on the death of Mr. Welton in March, 1874, James S. Elton was elected. The history of the Waterbury Brass Company has been one of marked success. Its capital stock of $400,000, — which represents but a small part of the amount actually invested in its business, — with the exception of the $40,000 of original capital and $10,000 subscribed within the first year of its existence, has all been earned. The mills of the company have been enlarged from time to time as the business demanded, until their capacity is many times greater than at first, and yet it has hardly kept pace with the growth of the business in this country, so enormous has it been. The present officers of the company are : James S. Elton, president ; Edward D. Steele, treasurer ; and Gillman C. Hill, secretary.

CC Hunter

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back