Gommy

Feb 24, 2013
Iasi
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCF4270.jpgDSCF4271.jpgDSCF4272.jpgDSCF4273.jpgDSCF4274.jpg

Looks a lot like an old pre war (WW2) brass oiler cap - from some type of machinery. These were unscrewed, oil put into tube then cap replaced, rod in centre kept tube from blocking. I have seen and used similar ones. Nuggy

Upvote 0
Its a brass insert. As far as the age is concerned its hard to tell. They are used in a number of applications from automotive to beverage equipment to communications and so on. They come in a bunch of different patterns and varietys. Hope Im not breaking any site rules but here is a random website I found that shows a bunch of stylles and gives some basic info. This picture shows one that looks very similar to yours.

Brass Moulding Inserts, Brass Threaded Inserts, Brass Knurling Inserts, Brass Molding Inserts, India

brass-helical-inserts-500x500.jpg

Here is one I picked up off the floor of a warehouse that stocks coffee machines.

20130703_202752_resized.jpg

Upvote 0
Well it looks like that - except for; the general aged look, the rod in the middle, and the fact that is not drilled through, but both are brass and tubular.

A little research reveals that the rod in the centre gets rid of air bubbles that stop the oil running down inside the tube.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back