🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Interesting "slideshow" article (40 slides) identifies antique kitchen tools & equipment

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Although this technically is not a What-Is-It? post, it may help some folks correctly identify objects they haven't seen, or have but don't recognize.

While surfing the web for News, I came across an interesting "slideshow" article which identifies 40 antique kitchen tools and related equipment.. As I am quite the geezer now, born in the first half of the 20th Century, I remember seeing all but one of the 40... the butter curler.

Although this technically is not a What-Is-It? post, it may help some folks correctly identify objects they haven't seen, or have but don't recognize.

While surfing the web for News, I came across an interesting "slideshow" article which identifies 40 antique kitchen tools and related equipment.. As I am quite the geezer now, born in the first half of the 20th Century, I remember seeing all but one of the 40... the butter curler.

Yes seen many and we still use a few in our daily life.
Beaters, butter container, grinder, storage jars, new versions of the garlic press, lettuce spinner, fly cover.
It just is comforting to know old is still relevant today.

Upvote 1
Jello mold. Not Jelly mold.

The given example of a flour sifter represents nothing used for sifting flour I've ever seen or used. Maybe as a final act of desperation I might try it..... Though design begs for the top to fall off what looks like a seasoning shaker at the most inopportune time.

Some Ladies some places long long go wore a pocket . (Think a type of ditty bag almost.) An unmarried could flaunt hers by allowing it (deliberately) to be seen. Featuring her fancy decorative needlework. Was she skilled? One could tell easily enough.
When did decorated pockets end and "samplers" come into popularity? Beats me.
But skill with needles is not something everyone is good or patient at. If someone is great at it , their work should be prominently displayed somewhere!

And the list misses mention of something few homes were without and which still inhabit the underground in estate and yard and garage and second hand sale places of slightly discolored and a whiff of mildewed repute ; countrywide.
Doilies (#41!) were almost hit upon. The lace curtains hit near.
Let a woman be dressed in a flour sack dress as the only clothing she owned, (once upon a time flour came in cloth bags) there would be a fancy doily or two around somewhere.
Is one a type of trivet? Sure , sure .
Is it a head cover? In a pinch ,why not? Not like it's doing anything more important.
Is one strictly decorative and outstanding in it's contrast to the only fancy piece of wood table top which is upon the couch back /front window/lamp table ; yet assigned a duty of protecting the surface as if it were a coaster? (And heaven forbid a doily get lamp fuel on it). Then there may be a woman in the home.
A napkin? Don't get caught wiping gravy off your shirt with one. Or pour coffee or tea on yours. You may find yourself being described as genteel or something.

Upvote 1
Jello mold. Not Jelly mold.

The given example of a flour sifter represents nothing used for sifting flour I've ever seen or used. Maybe as a final act of desperation I might try it..... Though design begs for the top to fall off what looks like a seasoning shaker at the most inopportune time.

That slideshow was put together by Jen Grimble. She's British and makes reference to a number of things unfamiliar to Americans.

Jello is a completely unused term over here. The stuff you you make with hot water and allow to set in the fridge is known by everyone as "jelly". Anything sold in a jar as a spread is either a jam, marmalade or preserve, depending on its fruit content.

Jelly.jpg

The flour sifter is very much typical for old-fashioned kitchens here, and my wife still uses a similar one when she's baking from scratch.

Upvote 3
That slideshow was put together by Jen Grimble. She's British and makes reference to a number of things unfamiliar to Americans.

Jello is a completely unused term over here. The stuff you you make with hot water and allow to set in the fridge is known by everyone as "jelly". Anything sold in a jar as a spread is either a jam, marmalade or preserve, depending on its fruit content.

View attachment 2108721

The flour sifter is very much typical for old-fashioned kitchens here, and my wife still uses a similar one when she's baking from scratch.
English? Well there's the problem then!

A ladder in a nylon stocking.
Where's your kitchen bin.
ect.

You'd think a bloke could provide his Mrs. with a proper flour sifter instead on her having to make do with a pepper shaker..

(All in fun.)

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back