Interesting Rock

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
*UPDATE* I have performed some tests on it and have determined it to be pyrite. Thank you everyone for the replies. I learned from you, so thank you.

Ok so, I live in Nevada where yards are usually landscaped with rocks.
My yard is no exception.

We are in the process of turning our backyard into a Japanese garden and it is coming great but I had to stop and sit for a moment and looked down at the small rocks and I found one that looks like it may have something on it. Gold? I don't know, but it is very interesting and it is the only one I've seen like it.

Attachments

• 20230406_163822.jpg
    20230406_163822.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
  • 20230406_163816.jpg
    20230406_163816.jpg
    751.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230406_163812.jpg
    20230406_163812.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Upvote 11
If it were gold it would be a nice geo-specimen, but the crystalline habit apparent in the first picture suggests its probably pyrite.

If you have an old porcelain tile, give the golden area a streak on the back (unglazed) side. Gold will leave a yellow metallic streak. Pyrite will give a dull streak somewhere between very dark green and black.

It looks like pyrite to me.
Take a sewing needle and give the "gold" a poke if it crumbles it's pyrite, gold is malleable so if it indents but stays intact it could very well be gold and further testing is required.

Another simple test is look at it in full sunlight and then use your hand to cast shade on it, if it changes color it's pyrite, if the color stays the same it could be gold, gold has a "glow" of it's own and will be the same color in full sunlight and in shade.

Last edited:
Ok so, I live in Nevada where yards are usually landscaped with rocks.
My yard is no exception.

We are in the process of turning our backyard into a Japanese garden and it is coming great but I had to stop and sit for a moment and looked down at the small rocks and I found one that looks like it may have something on it. Gold? I don't know, but it is very interesting and it is the only one I've seen like it.
Interesting 😁 Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back