Arthur Neto

Sep 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X + TinyTec probe

Attachments

• queisso.jpg
    queisso.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 436
Well, the Alpha and Omega are obvious--so I'll say the medallion is Religious. :wink:

Also has what looks like a Byzantine cross on one side at the top.

Interesting...I'll keep working on it.

-Buckles

Upvote 0
The symbols in the left pic indicate it is a religious medal. You have the Greek letters Alpha and Omega.
Quote from Wiki- under Alpha and Omega
The term Alpha and Omega comes from the phrase "I am the alpha and the omega" (Ancient Greek: τὸ Α καὶ τὸ Ω), an appellation of God in the Book of Revelation (verses 1:8, 21:6, and 22:13). Its meaning is found in the fact that Alpha (Α) and Omega (Ω) are respectively the first and last letters of the Classical (Ionic) Greek alphabet. This would be similar to referring to someone in English as "the A to Z".

Also a cross - and the symbol at the 6 o'clock position I will guess to be a chalice/cup.

The side shown on the right seems to say 'everything about life (including love - cupid).

Given all the symbolism I will guess that it is a 'First Communion' medallion.

Mike

Upvote 0
Interesting find. Note the seven stars between the sun and moon which could be in reference to the seven churches mentioned in the Book of Revelations.

HH!
Moe

Upvote 0
I associated the seven stars with the Pleiades star cluster, in the constellation Taurus. It is named for the seven daughters of Atlas and Pleione, who were placed by Zeus among the stars in Greek mythology and is cited in the Bible — "Can you bind the beautiful Pleiades? Can you loose the cords of Orion?" (Job 38:31).

I associated the tower as a lighthouse.
I agree with Ramitt as the bottom object being an hourglass, symbolizing the 'time' between the Alpha and Omega.
Don....

Upvote 0
I agree that it is most likely religious. Here is a pic of a Chi Rho Cross which has some of the same symbols. Alpha Omega symbolizes eternity as far as I can find. Cupid, I read, can symbolize love and even Chastity.

The X or Chi Symbol on the Chi Rho Cross stands for the first letter in the name of Christ. The P which is actually symbollic of the letter R in Greek terms ? don't understand that either but together the X and P are the symbol of Christ.

There is a Dove on this one with the Sun Rays, etc. Most likely yours has many interpretations of the symbols on it.

Attachments

• CHI RHO.jpg
    CHI RHO.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 217
Upvote 0
This is an unusual medallion. It could have an esoteric meaning.

Front:
Alpha/ Omega = are symbols for beginning and end (first and last letters of Greek alphabet). Jesus said "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end." (Rev 22:13).

Greek cross or Jerusalem cross.

Hourglass or chalice.

Letter N inside wreath.

*notice symbols in front form a cross

Back:
Radiant Sun, seven stars (seven churches of Revelation? or Pleiades star cluster), crescent moon.

Unidentified object on left, tower with Host on top, and cherub.

- Moe

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back