Interesting bracelet at thrift store

ENGRAVER

Jun 8, 2005
Chitown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I found this bracelet at the thrift store near my house. I thought it was interesting so I purchased it. It is stamped sterling and also with some lettes that make no sense to me. I searched the web, but came up blank. Wondering if anybody has seen these markings before.

ForumRunner_20121005_174147.png

ForumRunner_20121005_174212.png

ForumRunner_20121005_174232.png

ForumRunner_20121005_174309.png

Luis S

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121005_174333.png
    ForumRunner_20121005_174333.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 194
Looks like a case of fill in the blanks. lol. It seems the original words that were stamped on there were lost when they cut out the rectangular holes for the stones. I see the 4th photo shows a partial of the word sterling. It's weird for sure, never seen anything where the original stamping was compromised like that before. Now to figure out the rest of the words with the missing letters...

In the 4th photo it may say "Meyer St Charles" ??, which is a "retailer named Max Meyer active circa 1866 from St. Charles." I found that info on the 925-1000.com web site. The 5th photo is probably the actual makers mark (I have no clue though). The 3rd photo says sterling in an arc shape right? Good luck! It is a beautiful bracelet with nice detail on the sides and what kind of stones is also a good question....are they black or dark blue?

Thanks for the responses, gives me more to look into now. Didn't notice sterling could be one of the words cut out. The stones are black, possibly onyx, not sure though.
the arc word is definitely sterling, which is why I bought it, tested it and its definitley sterling. The search continues... Thanks again...

Luis S.

Hi there. I've seen similar pieces to this. You may find that the stones are in fact sapphires or spinels. These were very popular towards the end of the 19th century, and the cut of the stones is the giveaway to what they are. Very nice find.

Hi there. I've seen similar pieces to this. You may find that the stones are in fact sapphires or spinels. These were very popular towards the end of the 19th century, and the cut of the stones is the giveaway to what they are. Very nice find.
Channel set baguette?

Thanks I've never heard of spinels, new thing learned for the day. I will research it some more.

Luis S.

How much did you pay for the bracelet, very cool find. I'd be interested to know what the stones are. Take it to a jeweler maybe they can identify.

Very, very nice bracelet. Please keep us posted, would love to know more about it.

Anita

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back