Interesting Antique Oak Picture/Art Frame... With a twist

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I picked this frame at a estate sale this past weekend. And as you can see it's in two pieces with hinges. There are hangers in the back so it would have hung on the wall with the hinges on the bottom and would have hung down until the chains stop it. Right now there is a painting in there... the center frame actually is held in with two nails and is removable. I have a theory that this was used for very high walls and swung down like it does for a better viewing angle.. Your thoughts? (No - I did not find a old copy of the Declaration of Independence in it ) haha

[URL=http://s199.photobucket.com/user/totallyliquid/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2844C6E4-8E23-4D05-AA7F-EE4A3EB1B9FA_zpsvvwpmvwu.jpg.html]

[/URL]

That's not unlike a pair of frames I made for my wife, probably for a different purpose. Mine open to a panel where she can hang her earrings/jewelry of reach/site of our 3-yr old, who had been making a mess out of them.

Upvote 0
Well that's different. I'm pretty sure I've never seen one like it. I would have thought secret hiding spot, but it looks like there's no way to keep it closed, and the chains and hinges would kind of give away the secret..... I like your idea, it seems to make sense. Whatever it was made for it's definitely neat

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back