intake on dredge nozzle

sil9mm

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm converting my highbanker into a dredge. Sluice is 12.5" x 60" with combo of gold hog mats and pref punch play under header box. I am using a 2" water pump with 5hp honda. It works amazing on fine gold.
So I just bought a 2 1/2 nozzle with 1 1/4 intake. My question is after looking inside the nozzle toward where the intake is welded on, I see there is only about a half inch hole. I'm assuming it is some sort of structure design but it seems like it would be just too small and restrictive. Going from a 2" down to 1/2 just seems too much. Am I missing something. Please bare with me. My only other experience with dredge nozzles was a little 1" backpack dredge.

to get a accurate reply you need to give more info on your pump specs. the 1/2 inch venture port isn't to small! but it may be to BIG for your pump !

It'll run it and mighty fine too. The restriction amps up the psi trying to cram all that water through the hole. Just run it in a pool/kiddie pool/trough whatever to see as no box .frame or floats needed to test, never drill out till done. John

Well I planned on testing before to decide on what to do next. The pump is a riverside ag 160 gpm pump. I'll post test results.

I was able to test the suction nozzle. It does work but it seems it could have more suction. I should be able to test it on my creek this weekend.

Low pressure trash pumps don't have near the psi as close tolerance pumps such as proline,precision and others so after you posted more info ya got what your gonna get-John

After testing it today, I was a little frustrated with the whole setup. After I tweaked a few things and playing around with my grizzly, pitch, and damn clods, I was more than happy seeing the gold in the mats after my quick clean outs. I have not yet had a chance to test tailings but I was not surprised to see the gold in my mats considering. I'll know more tomorrow.

Last edited:
After testing it today, I was a little frustrated with the whole setup. After I tweaked a few things and playing around with my grizzly, pitch, and damn clods, I was more than happy seeing the gold in the mats after my quick clean outs. I have not yet had a chance to test tailings but I was not surprised to see the gold in my mats considering. I'll know more tomorrow.

Would NOT recommend enlarging the hole of the pressure jet. If anything you may need to make it a tad smaller as Russau suggested. 1/2" would be the normal 4:1 ratio with a 2" intake, with your pump a 7/16" jet should work better.

However, if your intake is 1-1/4" a 3/8" jet would be required.

Go for the gold,
GG~

Last edited:
Well I planned on testing before to decide on what to do next. The pump is a riverside ag 160 gpm pump. I'll post test results.

AT what psi ( head ) 160 gpm would be with no hose on it when you add hose, nozzle gpm's go down as Russ, John and Good Guy are saying is it a trash pump, smitrash pump or clear water pump they all have dif spec's just like waht John said about proline, Keen pump's and other's

Bill

The nozzle is working just fine. My discharge hose is way too long but I need that to get to my highbanker. I was able to get down to the hardpack but not for very long which is why there wasn't much gold in the mats. I'll work the hardpack a little more in a few different spots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back