S. E. Tn.

Attachments

• civil war finds 006.jpg
    civil war finds 006.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 255
  • civil war finds 006.jpg
    civil war finds 006.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 249
I think the information says it all. I'm not even a novice Civil War authority, and haven't a clue as to value, but I think it is super find. Is it made of silver?

Upvote 0
Great find! It's a post-war veteran's badge, called a "ladder badge." They're usually made of German silver rather than real silver. Unnamed badges are worth hundreds, and sometimes over $1,000 if complete and in nice shape. Badges with the soldier's name are worth even more.

Here's a link to more info on the unit:

http://www.tngenweb.org/civilwar/usainf/usa1inf.html

Upvote 0
Expanding a bit on PBK's reply, these were usually worn by veterans at functions of their "lodge". Typical was the Grand Army of the Republic, "G.A.R." - which had posts in many towns across the nation. The G.A.R. participated in local parades and other events, and had annual statewide meetings where this type of ladder badge would be appropriate. Delegates were chosen to attend the national conventions, and the badges would be used there. There were often silk ribbons (denoting the specific event) and a name plate (denoting the individual delegate) used in conjunction with this badge. The G.A.R., being a veteran's organization, disappeared as the last of the Civil War veterans passed away. John in ID

Upvote 0
I wish I could say I dug it but I didn't, I found it in my grandmothers house when we were tearing it down, I think it belonged to my great great grandfather, I was just curious as to what it represented, I knew he was in the civil war but that is about the extent of my knowledge of him. Everyone is gone that could tell me anything about him, I don't know what happened to him or where he's buried. The site that was left above gave me a ton of info. I'll be exploring it more.

Upvote 0
Company H. 1st TN. volunteer infantry.
Do a google search on that company.
I have found some very interesting war action stories about my ggrandfather.

Upvote 0
You need to read the book Co. Aytch by Samuel L. Watkins it will give you all the info you will need.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back