Info on Cordobas lost fleet of 1605

B R U T U S

May 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Info on Cordoba's lost fleet of 1605

I've spent the last few days reading through every bit of info that I could find about Cordoba's lost galleons of 1605. It is all extremely intriguing! It seems that there hasn't been any new information on the subject in quite some time though.

Does anyone have updates of any kind? Is there any progress on the laws in Colombia that have been disallowing the necessary permits needed to explore Serranilla, Bajo Nuevo, etc? (Forgive me, I don't know the technical terms to explain the current so-called "situation" in Colombia)

Perhaps someone has info that has not yet been discussed here on the forums? Any and all insight is welcome!

Thanks Don!

Very interesting article... Well, I guess no progress has been made! In terms of Colombia's laws and such. Although the circumstances of that wreck and salvaging efforts seem to be slightly different than that of the "1605" wrecks. As far as I know, the Colombian government did give a company in the 90's the rights/permits to explore Serranilla for the lost galleons, and there was no "fussing" about that expedition (from the government at least). Whereas in the case of the San Jose, there seems to have been confusion between the Colombian government and SSA over the initial rights to salvage the ship, leading to what appears to have been a very messy lawsuit.

Well, now I'm curious about the San Jose! haha

Brutus,
Yes, a permit was given to a "1605" group headed by a (now deceased) dentist from Long Beach, Ca. They found (or admitted) nothing of significance; certainly not massive treasure. A couple of years earlier, I 'cruised and sledded' the area twice in my boat, the R/V Explorer (registered in Honduras), and achieved the same monetary rewards; zilch, though I was rewarded with lifetime experiences.
I still hope to read about permits granted and discoveries made by others regarding both the 1605 fleet and the San Jose.
Don.....

Vox veritas,
A very interesting collection of books... I will definitely be looking into those.

Don,
Yes hopefully Colombia will clear this mess up soon and start allowing permits!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back