✅ SOLVED Infantry button?

Hoosier Digger

Jul 12, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, all of you button and military experts out there. I dug this button on an Indiana homesite today. I do not know the full history of the property, but I have found an item or two from the 1860's, although most items were from the last 50-75 years. This looks like an infantry button, but it just seems off to me somehow. So I have two questions. First, is this a legitimate military button? Secondly, if it appears to be real (and not a more modern reproduction), what war would it be from? As always, I thank you in advance for your opinions and expertise.

Attachments

• Button with measurements.jpg
    Button with measurements.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 126
  • infantry button back.jpg
    infantry button back.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Infantry button light.jpg
    Infantry button light.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 81
I agree with bill it looks legit,probably 1860.nice one

Upvote 0
It is a US Army Infantry Officer button. The specific version you found was manufactured from the 1850s through 1874. Earlier and later versions of "Eagle I" button exist, but the eagle's form on them is a bit different from yours... it is definitely 1850s-1874.

You asked if it could be a modern Reproduction (made for use by civil war battle re-enactors). It's always a good idea to check about that, because repro American military buttons have been found in surprising places. Good news: The form of your button's brass back and the brazed-on construction of the thread-loop show it is an Original, not a repro.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank all of you, and a special thank you to TheCannonballGuy. I knew there would be someone out there with all the answers, and I definitely like the answers you gave me!

Upvote 0
Pete is the man!We need cannonballguy on here 24/7

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the compliment, y'all. Unfortunately I can't "be here" as often as I was in past years. I'm happy to see that some of you relic-ID helpers are doing a very good job of replacing me when I'm absent.

Apparently, the last relic-book I'll ever write is my 4,000 relic-ID posts here in the What-Is-It forum. Anybody here who has lots of spare time for "relic education" can read them, by left-clicking on my posting-name and then clicking on "View Forum Posts."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back