Indians in the Outfield

mrtwintower

Jun 15, 2010
A small town nearby is tearing up the baseball field and so my wife and I went to try our luck and boy, did it ever exceed our wildest hopes!
It wasn't too long before we found this gold ring. It says 10K. It is only our second ring ever so we were on cloud nine. That didn't last long as just a few minutes later my wife let out a cheer. This arrowhead was sitting right on top. How it got there is beyond us. The sheer luck of finding it is incredible.
We are trying to figure out what some of the coins are as they are very green and corroded. One guy driving by told us it used to be a city dump and he remembers shooting rats there as a kid.
3 quarters, 8 dimes, 3 nickles and 12 pennies.
The dollar bill on the grass was the cherry on top.

Attachments

• field.jpg
    field.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 445
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 441
  • arrowhead.jpg
    arrowhead.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 443
  • bill.jpg
    bill.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 446
Upvote 0
Gold isn't easy to find, so, you're doing something right :thumbsup: Keep the roll going :headbang:

:icon_thumleft: Great Finds both of you!

The gold ring and small green chunks on it. Is that because it is only 10K? Finding gold is new to us.
Could the fertilizer and irrigation affect the condition of the finds?

mrtwintower said:
The gold ring and small green chunks on it. Is that because it is only 10K? Finding gold is new to us.
Could the fertilizer and irrigation affect the condition of the finds?
Fertilizer will affect coins especially copper. Sometimes I dig old indian head cents out of yards, lots of green corrosion. You can heat up a small glass of hydrogen peroxide, then drop the coin into it. The reaction and bubbles will at times lift lots of crap off the coin.
I have to say go back and scan that ballfield again, as much as possible. Ballfields are my favorite spots, because they are also the sites of early carnivals and fairgrounds. I know of two spots, one was the town dump in the late 1800's, and then filled in, they played ball and had traveling circuses there. I dug a ton of old silver and indian heads and other old coins and relics. Good luck!

Fistful of dirt: thank you for your advice, there are coins from there that we will have to try that on!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back