Indian Stone Artifacts?

stderek

Nov 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is that these were found in a field in Springport, Michigan. Are they Indian? What might they be worth? They measure about 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches.
Thanks in advance!

IMG_8942a.JPGIMG_8943a.JPGIMG_8944a.JPGIMG_8945a.JPG

Upvote 0
Pretty cool find! The hook shaped object looks like a carving of some sort. Might want to post these over on the Artifact forum.

Welcome to t-net
I am thinking they may be natural unless someone has seen like examples. I do not know. Any other artifacts found with them?

the hook one looks like a geofact (rock) the other I am not sure of, can we see the bottom ends?

Well one of them is an obvious sea horse effigy. Just kidding you. I would have brought them in as well. I also do think your other piece is a maul or something.

Dont encourage it

To elaborate, I'm a watchmaker and I also buy and sell antiques. Someone brought these into my shop in hopes I would make an offer. My 1st impression was that they were too crude to be of Indian manufacture, and I didn't find anything exactly like them in any of my recently purchased reference books. However, I am by no means an expert, and I thought I'd post pictures here, just to be sure of my 1st impression. The customer came in to retrieve them before I had any answers on this site, so I passed on the purchase.
It appears the consensus is that these are natural stone pieces.

Thank you for your thoughts on these items.

To elaborate, I'm a watchmaker and I also buy and sell antiques. Someone brought these into my shop in hopes I would make an offer. My 1st impression was that they were too crude to be of Indian manufacture, and I didn't find anything exactly like them in any of my recently purchased reference books. However, I am by no means an expert, and I thought I'd post pictures here, just to be sure of my 1st impression. The customer came in to retrieve them before I had any answers on this site, so I passed on the purchase.
It appears the consensus is that these are natural stone pieces.

Thank you for your thoughts on these items.

STDerek....First Welcome to the forum. The consensus was spot on with the call. To let you know though your state has a rich Native American history. So you might want to get out on the rivers and fields to take try and start finding real artifacts. We will help you along with information to point you in the right direction. I speak for myself on this statement but know everyone here shares the same opinion I believe. Once you find one and start learning it really becomes easier and easier as you go. The hardest find is your first one and it will let you know if you love it or if you are not interested in the hunt for them. I found my first one when i was a kid and since then I have learned the lithics(Stones) used to make arrowheads and the lithics used for the heavier stone tools like axes, celts, pipes, bannerstones, and pendants and gorgets. The lithic is the most important part. Once you know the lithics by eye you will be spotting points left and right because most lithics are imported from a far off source and you can see that compared to the rest of the stones in that area. So the stone that does not look like rest could be a artifact if it should show signs of workmanship. We are here to help and look forward to aiding you in your first real discovery...........................Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you would like that is what we all are here for!!................................GTP(Chris)

STDerek....First Welcome to the forum. The consensus was spot on with the call. To let you know though your state has a rich Native American history. So you might want to get out on the rivers and fields to take try and start finding real artifacts. We will help you along with information to point you in the right direction. I speak for myself on this statement but know everyone here shares the same opinion I believe. Once you find one and start learning it really becomes easier and easier as you go. The hardest find is your first one and it will let you know if you love it or if you are not interested in the hunt for them. I found my first one when i was a kid and since then I have learned the lithics(Stones) used to make arrowheads and the lithics used for the heavier stone tools like axes, celts, pipes, bannerstones, and pendants and gorgets. The lithic is the most important part. Once you know the lithics by eye you will be spotting points left and right because most lithics are imported from a far off source and you can see that compared to the rest of the stones in that area. So the stone that does not look like rest could be a artifact if it should show signs of workmanship. We are here to help and look forward to aiding you in your first real discovery...........................Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you would like that is what we all are here for!!................................GTP(Chris)

Thank you, Chris,
I'm sure I'll be back. The same customer did bring some genuine arrowheads, but the ones in nice shape were very common, and the more interesting ones were in very poor shape, so I passed on those, also.
I had another person come in last summer with what looked to be a genuine bird stone, but I didn't take any pictures, and that was before I found this forum. We couldn't come to an agreement on price, so I passed on that one as well.

Well just so you know bird stones are sometimes reproduced but there are some real ones still floating around. Without knowing it was probably a good idea to pass on it. I would of liked to see it though. Maybe next time

I have something similar to the top left object. I just joined today and was going to post a pic and ask if it was a geofact.

Open your own page when you do. Never know it might be a artifact. Then again might not. We will have to view it.

WOW!!!!! thanks, we actually got a member that listens, u will make it far my son!

According to the link to get to these posts, it is under the Artifact/North American Artifact forum/. Is there another "Artifacts" forum here?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back