Indian artifact??

Kk77

May 7, 2014
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is something my great grandfather found in Jones Louisiana .. If anyone has any information about what exactly it is and was used for I would be greatly appreciated!! [ATTACH
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe they call those a celt. I could be wrong. The last picture tells me it is definitely a Native American artifact though.
Most of the ones I have seen in videos online have had a noticeable line around the center.

I agree with deer, looks like a Celt.

yep, celt. nice one.

I saw an interesting documentary once, about a stone age tribe in the rain forest, a crew filmed a native chopping down a tree with one.

His handle was like a large softball bat, with a tapered notch cut near the end that the poll fit into. It explained why that end is tapered, as it is used, the taper keeps the stone tight in the handle.

he chopped the small tree down much quicker than I expected.

Definitely a celt and a NICE one. The celt was designed to fit in a tapered hole in the handle. As you used it, it would tighten in the handle. If you needed to sharpen it. you tapped it from the rear to remove it from the handle and rubbed the blade edge on an abrasive stone until sharp and then back in the handle. I have cut many 4 to 6 inch trees with one like it. Not as fast as a steel axe but faster than you would think.

Agree with all the above. Nice artifact.

Very nice quality Im still looking to find one.

Sweet thanks for the info guys Im going to tell my grandpa about it!! Is there anyway I could somehow date how old the piece is??

Sweet thanks for the info guys Im going to tell my grandpa about it!! Is there anyway I could somehow date how old the piece is??
Guessing but I would say Woodland period

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back