Indian artifact-what is this? Please help!

Sep 18, 2011
I may have posted this before but I found that it had some interesting work done to it that I never saw before. Attached is a close up of the secondary "flaking" that I see. The piece is likely a chopper of some sort but what kind of tool made these flake marks. They overlap each other and as you can see there are 2 sets. They are about an inch apart-makes some sort of a smooth surface. Was there a reason that these flakes were made this way?

it was found in South Dakota near the badlands on private property. Is there a way to date this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 175
The tool that made the marks would be called a hammer stone. could you post a pic showing the other side? HH
BK

Upvote 0
The chopping/cutting/scraping edge doesn't look to have been "worked" too much or is a result of heavy usage. A tool like this could've served many purposes and looks to have been crudely and quickly made. I see no hafting notches, so must've been a hand scraper/cutter.
It is the way the flint/chert/jasper flakes off. If they attempted in taking too much off in a single piece, they risked splitting it. Slow and steady wins the race!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back