Im stumped!!!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm stumped!!!

This one has me stumped.

I bought a black and white photo out of an estate sale. I call these type of pictures "yard longs", for lack of a better term, even though this one is only 19 1/2 inches long.

The photo is of a US Navy company, with an estimated 130 men in it, standing on risers. This is a typical company photo.

The bottom of it reads:

"CO.565 L.J. POND C.SP.CO.COM JUNE 11, 1943
US NAVAL TRAINING STATION, GREAT LAKES, ILL."

I'd like to know what company this was, and where they served if possible. I can't find a thing on them.

Can anyone shed some light on this old photograph???

Thanks so much!!!!!

Upvote 0
About one million recruits went through this training station during WWII, but after training they each had their own assignment, so weren't kept as a unit that itself could be tracked to particular battles, etc. You would have to track each graduating member individually. It's Possible that the folks here might have some insight to who was in that class? Great Lakes Training Station - 1943. Added: maybe not, their site seems to be a bit jumbled with categories... But it's out there somewhere!
Your use of "yard long photograph" is a pretty well accepted term for these in the antiques/collectors world, and can vary anywhere from 18" to 42". Not to be confused with yard long (painting) prints, which generally really were a yard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
About one million recruits went through this training station during WWII, but after training they each had their own assignment, so weren't kept as a unit that itself could be tracked to particular battles, etc. You would have to track each graduating member individually. It's Possible that the folks here might have some insight to who was in that class? Great Lakes Training Station - 1943. Added: maybe not, their site seems to be a bit jumbled with categories... But it's out there somewhere!
Your use of "yard long photograph" is a pretty well accepted term for these in the antiques/collectors world, and can vary anywhere from 18" to 42". Not to be confused with yard long (painting) prints, which generally really were a yard.

Thank you!!!!!

I thought that this company might have been broken up after graduation. It would have been cool to learn that they stayed together, and were the sailors blasting the shore on D-Day, or fighting in the Pacific.

I really appreciate the help!!!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back