Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this today while planting okra. I HATE to sound like a newbie, but I gotta plea my case. This little guy looks like a thumb scraper. It is very sharp, and looks like possibly well- worn edge work. The back side looks like it has the right core for a manipulated piece. Several points have come from within feet of this rock. That always makes me look harder. OK, let the beatings commence!☺️ Either way I’m keeping it, but never in a frame. Thanks

Attachments

• EA9B558C-2180-4F77-8733-F2940E2C73AC.jpeg
    EA9B558C-2180-4F77-8733-F2940E2C73AC.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 4401BE91-C751-46EC-B809-E480B5FA8802.jpeg
    4401BE91-C751-46EC-B809-E480B5FA8802.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
  • 27B85DAD-57E3-433C-8814-F8F4AE6151A6.jpeg
    27B85DAD-57E3-433C-8814-F8F4AE6151A6.jpeg
    554 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 7
I’m honestly not trying to pull a fast one! 😇 It’s just that it looks good in-hand but not in photos (OMG, how I hate that excuse when others use it)!
Inner struggle time for me. I trust you guys. Say “just a rock” and I’ll be 👌 ok! LOL

I’m honestly not trying to pull a fast one! 😇 It’s just that it looks good in-hand but not in photos (OMG, how I hate that excuse when others use it)!
Inner struggle time for me. I trust you guys. Say “just a rock” and I’ll be 👌 ok! LOL
The hand is quicker than the eye they say.
Another trick is to click on the right hand icon on the header, preview.
It will show how everything works, it comes in handy viewing the pictures.
Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 7.00.00 PM.png

Thumb scraper? Not sure what means.
A small scraper that a hunter/gatherer could use for small scraping jobs: trimming small pieces of fat from hides, smoothing an arrow shaft if no spoke shave is at hand, peeling bark from twigs, etc. Very similar to a small penknife today.

The hand is quicker than the eye they say.
Another trick is to click on the right hand icon on the header, preview.
It will show how everything works, it comes in handy viewing the pictures.
View attachment 2083132
Pepperj , I’m not following what you mean. Is this the header you mean?

Attachments

• 1576D96F-22C5-4B02-AE97-58FD76409BD0.jpeg
    1576D96F-22C5-4B02-AE97-58FD76409BD0.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 15
The edge exhibits some conchoidal fractures, but it is natural most likely. It is hard for people to conceptualize just how old most rocks are, and the natural processes they have been subjected to during hundreds of millions to billions of years. The magnitude of the time span is incredible. Some rocks are parts of long gone mountain ranges. Rivers and entire oceans have come and gone. Glaciers have formed and melted completely.

My point here is that any stone capable of exhibiting conchoidal fracture very likely will. It is a simple rule, but is broadly applicable to any rock. At some point the stone will have been subjected to natural forces like pressure and crushing from being buried, tumbling in a river or as part of sheet wash on a mountainside, or field plowing damage. Heck, a dinosaur or extinct bison species could have stepped on it. Most stones showing conchoidal fracture are 'just a rock' as they say. A relatively small percentage will be culturally modified. Sometimes there is a stone which is impossible to place into either category, in which case I would err on the side of caution and consider natural in origin. Mankind has known about working stone for millions of years, and even Acheulean hand axes exhibit very intentional and systematic modification.

Don't feel bad about not knowing for sure. I once saw an entire archaeological field crew of about 15 people with post graduate degrees get completely fooled by a piece of obsidian which has been scraped along one edge by a road grader. The thing was flaked uniformly along one side of one entire edge. It was flaked, but it was not culturally modified.

I surrender. I thought I was getting over- zealous with that one. It’s not even a keeper. It’s going in the rock garden. I think it just has a naturally chipped edge. Sorry.😐

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back