Illinois Central Signal brass padlock

Ace 350

Apr 8, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 and XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know the round about age of this? Thanks for sharing 74364366708__C5D63059-8B9A-4DD6-9798-24A125A28EAC.jpeg74364371727__5EC4A224-9DB0-4D59-9B57-6893B82C49A7.jpeg

Upvote 24
I'm curious where you found it; I love those old RR switch locks--especially the brass ones--I'd love to find one.

I posted a question a while back about detecting old RR ROWs...

Ace,
Your lock brings back good memories. The song, The City of New Orleans, refers to one train on the Illinois Central System. Here Willie and his friends sing the song. Listen at the start for "Illinois Central'.

Don in SoCal
PS: Sorry for getting off topic.

Last edited:
I'm curious where you found it; I love those old RR switch locks--especially the brass ones--I'd love to find one.

My uncle found it in Jackson TN. I posted it on here to see if anyone would have some info on its age.

Ace,
Your lock brings back good memories. The song, The City of New Orleans, refers to one train on the Illinois Central System. Here Willie and his friends sing the song. Listen at the start for "Illinois Central'.

Don in SoCal
PS: Sorry for getting off topic.

Heck yeah

My uncle found it in Jackson TN. I posted it on here to see if anyone would have some info on its age.
What I meant was more specifically, was it found on a RR ROW, near an old switch site, near another structure...etc.?

IME, you may have better luck dating it on an IL Central collectors site. Search: Illinois Central Railroad collectors or an image search of: Illinois Central Railroad lock

Last edited:

In

What I meant was more specifically, was it found on a RR ROW, near an old switch site, near another structure...etc.?

IME, you may have better luck dating it on an IL Central collectors site. Search: Illinois Central Railroad collectors or an image search of: Illinois Central Railroad lock
My aunt found it in Malesus , an area in Jackson TN. There’s a railroad that goes through there today and she found it in her yard maybe two miles from where the railroad is today.

My aunt found it in Malesus , an area in Jackson TN. There’s a railroad that goes through there today and she found it in her yard maybe two miles from where the railroad is today.
🤣 Almost sounds like a RR employee got frustrated and chucked the lock, but 2 miles seems a tad far... 😁

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back