Indiana Digger

Oct 13, 2010
E.C. Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

This one is far out of my league. Found around 5 inches deep at the site of an old log cabin & log barn.
Around 6 inches in diameter and 3 inches deep and made of iron/metal.
There are 3 areas that look to have some type of retaining clips.

Flower pot? Bowl? Hubcap? Bell cover?

First plausible answer wins a million internets. ;D

Yes, also posted in ID Help Forum.

Thanks for your help!

~Indiana Digger~

godfroyrelics3182011bowlcover.jpg

Attachments

• godfroyrelics3182011bowlcover.jpg
    godfroyrelics3182011bowlcover.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 517
I was thinking some type of spindle cap for an old piece of farm equipment but 6 inches is pretty big for that. Any way to wire brush it a little? looks like there might be some detail in the second pic... :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
I think it is some type of melting pot or cook pot that would have hung over an open fire. It has a rim on the bottom for placement when not hanging. It's really hard to tell with all the crud on it; of course, it could turn out to be a hanging planter, but I'm still leaning toward fire/heat/cooking. Breezie

Upvote 0
Headlight covers from an old car ?

Upvote 0
Is it Cast Iron ? if it is then I think Breezie is right ! It does look like a old style cooking bowl .

Upvote 0
Breezie said:
I think it is some type of melting pot or cook pot that would have hung over an open fire. It has a rim on the bottom for placement when not hanging. It's really hard to tell with all the crud on it; of course, it could turn out to be a hanging planter, but I'm still leaning toward fire/heat/cooking. Breezie
Gotta agree with ya Breezie, but will add I think maybe for melting Lead to cast Bullits with :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
I dont think melted metal would pour well from that shape.
Could be ashtray, are notches cigarette size? If not I would say the notches and tabs just inside the notches were for attaching it to something else.

Upvote 0
My mom had one of these once, it had three chains about 8 inches long and came to one ring up top. Idk what it was, maybe for flowers, but probably a bird feeder.

Upvote 0
Sure looks like a hub cap

Upvote 0
I dont think it is a bell with the three attachments the way they are as that would take away the vibration,ie. "ring"

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back