Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Head stamp has "FC" on one side and "98" on the other. I found some info that indicated "FC" could be Federal Cartridge Co., but I have not found anything about this specific head stamp. Thanks!

Shell2.JPGShell1.JPG

FC = Federal Cartridge Company, reincorporated in 1922 after a botched start in 1916
98 = 1998, the year of manufacture (cannot be 1898, as the company did not exist at that time)

Upvote 0
It could also be an "86" instead of "98"! Can you give us better measurements? Length of case and inside diameter of the mouth to the nearest .001 of an inch.

Upvote 0
Interesting. The place I found it I also found a shotgun brass with the head stamp "W.R.A. Co. Star No. 10" and that came up as late 1800s[FONT=&quot][/FONT], so I thought maybe...

Upvote 0
It could also be an "86" instead of "98"! Can you give us better measurements? Length of case and inside diameter of the mouth to the nearest .001 of an inch.

You're right it could be an "86". The best I can do on measurements is eyeballing it against a ruler. The smallest increments are centimeters: Length 2.9cm which is 1.14" (1&9/64") and the mouth is 1cm, which is 0.393", but again that is eyeballing it against a ruler.

Upvote 0
Your best bet is a .38 special. It measures 1.155 inches long and outside diameter of the mouth is .379 inches. The inside diameter is supposed to measure about .357 inches but after being fired will be larger. The .38 special was developed in 1902 by Smith and Wesson. It is still in production today and is one of the most popular cartridges ever. Hope this helps a little. I can't help with the shot gun casing because I don't know much about shot guns and I don't have any literature on them. Sorry.

Upvote 0
id shell casing FC 98 Head Stamp

FC = Federal Cartridge Company, reincorporated in 1922 after a botched start in 1916
98 = 1998, the year of manufacture (cannot be 1898, as the company did not exist at that time)

all I can say about this one is it wont take a Winchester small pistol primer WSP unless you ream the primer hole a little. I for one am not wasting the time to do that.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back