ID help

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody,
I found this beauty at a friends place in the Southern Sierra sitting in sand on the edge of a creek. It’s obsidian. I’m not sure if it’s a Cascade blade or a Haskett type 1. Looks like there are some shoulders but those could be from resharpening. It’s difficult to tell if there is grinding because it has been tossed in the creek for thousands of years. About 2” long. The thickest part of the point is on the narrow end. Thanks for the insight.
IMG_6090.jpeg
IMG_6091.jpeg
IMG_6092.jpeg

Upvote 9
I don’t know types in your area well, but looks kinda like it is borderline a western stemmed type to my limited eye, obsidian is always so pretty, that’s a nice find

just call it "lanceolate" and that is all you need.
I get hung up on dating things. I found a Haskett type 2 a few years back. It would be cool to have a type 1. This also falls outside of the typical range and could be one of the most southern ever found. Love finding the obsidian either way!

I don't find much obsidian on the PNW coast, and all that I do is traded from hundreds of miles away. I do find A LOT of cryptocrystalline silicates (CCS), jaspers, chalcedony type stone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back