Iceberg contest wheats found in my mailbox

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Like Kirk in PA, I got a nice manilla envelope today from Mirage, my Iceberg contest prize for finishing second, 78 wheaties and a silver Merc slabbed in a cardboard case and marked "267th silver coin found at the Iceberg"!! How cool is that.

Thanks to all four of you for putting on the great contest. That was fun and you all always score big time at the Berg, this time I scored!!

I cleaned the dirt off em and fingernail scratched the date area first and looped them before scrubbing em up in case there were any rare dates so not to damage them.

Here's the totals.
72 of them are common dates in the 1950's and 1940's, a few S mint marks.
1 - 1930 (phil mint)
I have 4 coins that I lightly cleaned but didn't scrub that I will take to work tomorrow to look at under the microscope there for a closer look then my loop.
3 - 1955 (phil mint) to check for double die error coins
1 penny looks like an oldie, maybe 1909 and maybe a mint mark??? but there is some pitting on it I think. The date is very hard to make out so I will scope it tomorrow and let you guys know.

This really made my Monday go better, looking forward to getting my mail after work.

Thanks again Berg dudes and nice finds Mirage... these were your coins I think.

Smiles!
BDoo

Upvote 0
Here's a photo of the goodies right out of the envelope.

Attachments

• Iceberg coins.jpg
    Iceberg coins.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 287
Checked then under the scope.

The 1955 coins are not double dies (surprise...lol)
the older coin is a 1915D and is in pretty rough shape, pitted and barely readable.

Thanks again Mirage and the rest of the Iceberg crew!!

Smiles!
BDoo

Sorry I didn't get you any good dates. At least you have a piece of the 'berg. :) The area we worked for these probably was not as old as the original "wheat field". But if we had worked that area I think we would have only came home with half the wheats and you would have had none. ::)

I like finding wheat pennies but if they are primarily from the 40's and 50's I do loose some interest. It's nice when you consistently find older wheat pennies. Then you know you are in an older area.

Bob

Awesome, Bdoo, what, no acceptance speech? ;) :D Those Berg dudes are something, ain't they? Also, what a dude! (pertaining to Mirage)

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back